Opened on the Formartine and Buchan Railway.
This was a terminus with an island platform with two faces. One, the southern, ran into the trainshed. The covered area was extended over the platform with a canopy which extended out from the trainshed.
There was a large goods yard to the north of the passenger station. The yard had a large shed and loading bank with two faces. A line ran east round the north of the goods yard to Peterhead Harbour.
North of the goods yard and harbour line was the two road locomotive shed.
The signal box, opened 1883 and replaced in 1890, was to the west where the lines dividing entering the station. It was on the south side of the line.
The station handled goods traffic for Crosse & Blackwell who had (until 1998) a canning factory in Peterhead Harbour (Crosse and Blackwell [Peterhead] ). This factory received cans from Elliot Metal Box.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The signal box closed in 1966 and a ground frame provided.
The Crosse & Blackwell traffic was transferred to containers from 1966 and the cans carried by road to the Aberdeen Freightliner Depot fro dispatch. This loss of traffic contributed to the closure of the Peterhead branch in 1970.
The site has been completely cleared and is now a school.
Bullers O^ Buchan Halt
Pitfour Curling Club Platform
Abbey of Deer Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Crosse and Blackwell [Peterhead]
HM Prison Peterhead
Peterhead Power Station
Stirling Hill Quarry
Cruden Bay Brick and Tile Works
Water of Cruden Viaduct
Cruden Bay Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|