This is a two platform station. There is a modern station building on the southbound platform. There is a car park. The station is on the western edge of the town and has a view overlooking the Montrose Basin. A modern footbridge with lifts stands at the south end of the station.
The building was built by British Rail in 1983, replacing the original 1883 building, a long building with a canopy.
There is an extensive goods yard on the east side of the line, approached from either the north or south as there is a loop on the east side of the line. This is a very underused facility which was still busy until recent years. There had been considerable lime traffic. There was a very large goods shed which stood until the 2000s.
As built, there were bays at the north and south ends of the station, the one at the south end remaining, out of use. The west side of the station was bypassed by two line, more recently one and now none. At the north end was an engine shed (Montrose Shed [NBR]) on the east side, approached from the north.
North of the station was Montrose North Junction with the line to Broomfield Junction and Inverbervie. This is controlled by Montrose North box, located on the west side of the line. It opened in 1881. The main line north to Hillside [NB] was doubled in 1932. The Inverbervie link closed in 1967.
At the south end was a branch to Montrose Harbour. The southern approach was controlled by Montrose South box.
This station competed with Montrose [CR] which was a terminus to the east. Being a terminus it could not compete with the through station on the East Coast Main Line and closed.
The line from Arbroath to Kinnaber Junction was largely single track when built. It is now largely double track, except the portion south from Montrose to Usan Signal Box due to the two viaducts.
Montrose has been resignalled and Usan Signal Box and Montrose South Signal Boxes closed in 2010. Semaphore signalling had been in place. Montrose North box is 'C' listed and now controls the area. Some semaphore remains (2019).
To the north, the line passes over the former single track Montrose [CR] branch of the Aberdeen Railway running out from Dubton.
The station is to the north of the South Esk Viaduct which crosses the outlet from the east end of the Montrose Basin, a large river basin noted for its birdlife.
Although the footbridge has been replaced a lattice bridge still stands further north.
To the west of the station is Montrose Basin Scottish Wildlife Trust - Montrose Basin .
To the west, beyond Montrose Basin, is a heritage railway which runs steam and diesel trains, the Caledonian Railway (see the link for how to get there).
North Water Bridge Halt
Bridge of Dun
[Brechin West Junction]
Brechin Shed [1st]
| Montrose Shed [NBR]|
Montrose North Junction
Montrose West Quay
South Esk Viaduct
Montrose Shed [CR]
Montrose [CR] Timber Yard
Montrose Wet Dock
Usan Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1845||Aberdeen Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. The line with run from Guthrie and Friockheim north largely by the coast to Aberdeen with branches to Brechin and Montrose.
|/ /1872||North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway|
Link from Montrose to Broomfield Junction (on the Montrose and Bervie Railway authorised.
|/ /1886||Aberdeen Railway|
Agreement allows the North British Railway to use Broomfield Siding and Broomfield Junction on the Montrose [CR] branch, crossed by Montrose to Bervie trains following the NBR's take over.
|01/10/1951||Montrose and Bervie Railway|
Inverbervie to Montrose (Broomfield Junction) closed to passengers. North Water Bridge, St Cyrus, Lauriston, Johnshaven, Birnie Road Siding, Gourdon, Inverbervie closed.
|23/05/1966||Montrose and Bervie Railway|
Inverbervie to Montrose (Broomfield Junction) closed to freight.
|19/06/1967||North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway|
Montrose to Broomfield Junction closed to freight.
The Montrose & Bervie Railway: A Study of Transport in South-East Kincardineshire 1770-1966