|/ /1899||[Wick and Lybster Light Railway]|
Wick and Lybster Light Railway authorised.
|01/07/1903||[Wick and Lybster Light Railway]|
Line opened from Wick ([Sutherland and Caithness Railway]) to Lybster.
|01/01/1923||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
|03/04/1944||[Wick and Lybster Light Railway]|
Lybster to Wick closed to all traffic (temporary, but final closure)
|01/02/1951||[Wick and Lybster Light Railway]|
Lybster to Wick; official closure date (already closed by April 1944)
These locations are along the line.
This is the end of the Far North line from Inverness, the most distant station from the rest of the network. The furthest north station is Thurso. The station is to the south of the River Wick, in the west of the town.
This station stood alongside the A99. The station building backs onto the A road. The platform was on the east side of the line. There was a goods siding to the south, approached by a reversing spur parallel with the platform line.
The halt has disappeared although the trackbed formation is still visible. The halt was at Whiteleen, to the north of an occupational crossing for Lyntone Cottage. ...More details
This was a single platform station. The platform was on the east side of the line with a building typical of the line, such as that preserved at Thrumster.
This was a single platform station. The platform was on the east side of the line. North of the station were three sidings and a loading bank, all on the east side of the line and served from the south alongside the station.
This halt was about three miles south east of Roster. A railway cottage remains to the north of the line, on the west side of the level crossing. ...More details
This was a single platform station. The platform was on the south side of the line with a goods siding to the south approached by a reversing siding at the east end.
This was a halt where the line crossed the A99 to the north of Lybster. A railway cottage remains here on the north side of the road, east side of the former line. ...More details
This was the southern terminus of the single track line from Wick. It was a one platform station with a generously sized goods yard. It was in the northern part of Lybster. Lybster Harbour was once a busy fishing port established by the British Fisheries Society but suffered with the collapse of over-fishing of herring around 1900.