Location type


Name and dates

Ardler (1837-1956)

Opened on the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway.


This was a two platform station. There was a level crossing to the east of the station and a goods yard to the west, on the north side of the line and reached by reversal from the northbound (down) line. The station buildings were of Caledonian Railway style typical of the line.

The origins of the station are with the goods yard (and passenger station) dating from around 1837 being contemporary with nearby Washington [N and CAR] station to the east. It was known as Ardler Depot, the name used in Bradshaw. Possibly generally Ardler handled coal and lime and Washington passengers. Space at Washington was limited and its station was demolished in 1847 when the line was doubled, with George Kinloch (junior) being compensated for the demolition, and the facilities concentrated at the Ardler station with re-opening in 1848.
George Kinloch (senior), who planned a village at Washington, had been chairman of the Dundee and Newtyle Railway and his son of the same name was director of the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway, however the latter was not a director of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.

There was a siding to the east of the level crossing on the south side of the line which made a trailing connection to the southbound (up) line, reached by reversing over the crossing. The signal box was on the west side of the level crossing, north side of the line.

The station closed to passengers in 1956. In 1967 the Strathmore line ceased to be a through route and the signal box here closed. The westbound line through the station was lifted. The gatekeeper's cottage, dating from around 1863, was demolished before line closure.

The station house still stands, now a house. Level crossing gates survived for some time after complete closure in 1982.

East of the station was the early Washington [N and CAR] station. Further east again was Ardler Junction for the Dundee and Newtyle Railway.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67