St Leonards (1834-1847)
St Leonards (1860-1860)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
A notable early passenger, goods and minerals terminus in Edinburgh - Edinburgh's first station and was located to the south east of the Old Town.. The station was probably not called St Leonards in the early days, it would be the Edinburgh terminus of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. At first trains were horse drawn. The primary purpose was to bring coal to Edinburgh from pits to the south east, most of the site was dedicated to this and facilities expanded.
Approach was from the east via an incline and the St Leonards Tunnel and an engine house for the incline was located at the east end.
Francis Whishaw described it thus
The Edinburgh station and depot occupies about eight imperial acres. There is nothing worthy of notice in the buildings at this station.
St Leonards where an extensive Coal is kept.
Princes Street [1st]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
Princes Street [Tram]
York Place [Tram]
Edinburgh Princes Street
Other railway and industry locations
St Leonards Tunnel
Edinburgh Waverley Goods
Edinburgh Signalling Centre
St Ann^s Brewery
St Giles Cathedral
Palace of Holyroodhouse
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route