St Leonards Tunnel

Location type


Name and dates

St Leonards Tunnel (1831-1968)


This disused single bore and single track tunnel runs from the bonded warehousing at the east end of the St Leonards station site east to ^Samson^s Ribs^, a rock feature on the south side of Arthur^ Seat. The tunnel is 572 yards long.

The line was horse operated until converted into a true railway by the North British Railway in the 1840s. In the early days the incline running east from St Leonards station required a stationary engine.

The tunnel has been converted into a footpath and is lit.

The engineer of for the line was James Jardine.