South Esk (1834-1847)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
This was the southern terminus of the main line of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. It was specifically built to be close to the coalfield north of Gorebridge to bring coal to Edinburgh. An older spelling is 'South Eske'.
The terminus was on the north bank of the South Esk river. Passenger services were horse operated. The line was double track. Francis Whishaw, writing in The Railways of Great Britain and Ireland, described it thus
The South Eske station-house is built in the cottage-style, and is of neat design. Besides the rooms occupied by the station-keeper, there is a general waiting-room, and one especially for ladies. There is a detached stable for eight horses. Near this station is a long wooden bridge, which carries the Marquess of Lothian's railway over the river Eske.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Other railway and industry locations
Newbattle Viaduct [1st]
West Bryans Siding
Esk Valley Junction
Eskbank Carpet Factory
Dean Oil Works
Newbattle Coal Stocking Site
Lady Victoria Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/07/1847||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
New line from Portobello (Hawick Junction) to Niddrie South Junction opened, Niddrie to South Esk re-gauged. The Arniston Branch was replaced by a new alignment further west.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route