Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
Fisherrow is a small tidal harbour on the west bank of the River Esk. The present stone harbour dates from the 17th century with modifications for waggonways. The town itself sits between the harbour and the river, on the east bank of which is Musselburgh. As the name suggest, fishing fleets were based here.
The Pinkie Waggonway ran from Sir John Hope's Pinkie Colliery, south east of Musselburgh, over the River Esk to the harbour, and salt pans, between 1812 and 1832. To the west were the Pinkie Salt Pans, connected to the east harbour wall by a short waggonway, probably the Pinkie relaid, and to the south the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway approached after 1831 and ran to the west harbour wall. A depot was south of the harbour, the site of which is now a small park and petrol station. Passenger coaches ran to Fisherrow from 1834.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book describes the railway depot thus
A considerable sized Depot for all Kinds of merchandise at Fisherrow Harbour. formerly it was a Coal Store of Sir Hope, and afterwards was intended for the Musselburgh Railway Depot, there is a small branch of the Railway to it, propelled generally by Steam
Niddrie Junction [2nd]
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 2)
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 1)
Other railway and industry locations
Esk Net Mills
Inveresk Mills (Paper)
Niddrie East Junction
Wanton Walls Junction
Niddrie South Junction
Inveresk Lodge Garden
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route