Niddrie [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Niddrie [1st] (1834-1847)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.

Opened on the Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was the first station at Niddrie, opened by the E&DR at the point of divergence of the lines to Fisherrow and South Esk one year before the opening of the South Leith branch. This location is marked on OS maps as having a 'Branch House' immediately to the south of the running lines. The station is likely to have been an interchange pausing point and probably did not serve the local community per se nor have any facilities other than the 'Branch House'.

Other locations have been identified as possible locations for this station:

- on the St Leonards to Niddrie alignment, west of the point of divergence of the Leith line.

- just east of the point of divergence of the lines to St Leonards and Leith.

The first is unlikely simply due to its not appearing at this location in the plans of the area within the NBR prospectus.

The second is unlikely as Niddrie opened a year before the Leith branch opened.


Tags

Station