Fisherrow Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Fisherrow Junction (1847-1961)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.

Opened on the Musselburgh Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This was the junction between the 1831 Fisherrow branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and the 1847 Musselburgh Branch (North British Railway).

Originally the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway branch ran directly from Niddrie [1st] to Fisherrow.

This was severed with the opening of the northern part of the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) in 1847, but a new curve was put in so that the branch started from Niddrie Junction [2nd]. It was around this time that the Musselburgh Branch (North British Railway) opened from Fisherrow Junction.

The approach to [[Fisherrow was to be altered to be via a reversing spur which was on the north side of the Niddrie Junction [2nd] to Musselburgh [2nd] alignment and approached from the east. Near the junction was access to a brass foundry siding.

In 1858 a new curve was opened just to the west to give access to New Hailes Junction. This replaced the approach from Niddrie Junction [2nd].

In 1905 a signal box opened at the junction allowing direct access to Fisherrow. The box was located on the south side of the line. This was a single lead junction, the Musselburgh route being double track. A prefabricated building works and timber yard was served from the junction, in place of the brass foundry.

The Fisherrow line closed in 1961 and the box closed. The Musselburgh line closed to passengers in 1964 and altogether in 1971.

09/05/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map