Niddrie Junction [2nd]

Location type


Name and dates

Niddrie Junction [2nd] (1848-1860)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was the second Niddrie station, shown on contemporary OS maps as Niddry Junction.

This was built on the NBR's branch from Portobello East Junction to Niddrie.

At Niddrie the line split;

- a link was made to the E&DR at Niddrie South Junction (crossing on the level and severing the E&DR's Niddrie to Fisherrow line).

- a link was made to the Niddrie to Fisherrow line which kept the portion of the line running east open.

The former was used by the NBR for trains to Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells and Hawick [1st] and the latter for trains to Fisherrow and Musselburgh [2nd].

The line to Fisherrow closed in 1859 and the station relocated further south to Niddrie [3rd] in 1860.

The station building remained open as a goods office for some time afterwards.