Baileyfield Switch and Crossing Works

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Baileyfield Switch and Crossing Works (1905-)


Description

This works manufacturers switches and crossings - points, the track hardware for junctions and siding turnouts. Voestalpine VAE UK

The works was opened by the North British Railway in the 1890s (it appears on Ordnance Survey maps after 1896). It is an interesting site bounded by the North British's 1859 curve from Portobello West Junction to the South Leith branch to the west and the original Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's South Leith branch alignment to the east. (Much of the latter is now under Sir Harry Lauder Road although a superb survivor - a fine stone bridge over the Figgate Burn - can be found to the south of the works site.)

The works was rebuilt in 1980 to re-open in 1982. As part of British Rail's privatisation is was sold in 1995.

Sidings access the site from the north, although these see very little use. The works remains busy.


Tags

Works railway works

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map