British Rail






Dates

  /  /    Burntisland Docks
17 acres site developed with 2 docks each with 6 coal hoists by the [North British Railway].
  /  /1762Nor Loch, Edinburgh
Drained, this was the future site of [North British Railway]s Waverley Station.
09/03/1837[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Branch to basin on the Carlisle and Port Carlisle Canal in Carlisle opened. The terminus later became Canal yard and was an interchange point with the [North British Railway] who acquired the [Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock Company].
07/07/1844[North British Railway]
Act receives Royal assent. Alternative date 4/7/1844.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (as yet unbuilt) absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1845[Marquis of Lothians Waggonway]
[North British Railway]
Waggonway purchased by the North British Railway.
21/07/1845Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
North British Railway
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway merged with the North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Fisherrow branch modified to branch off North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Original Fisherrow branch from Niddrie connected to North British Railway to form Niddrie to Monktonhall link.
16/06/1846[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Act passed
18/06/1846[North British Railway]
Opened from Edinburgh North Bridge to Berwick and the branch from Longniddry to Haddington.
01/08/1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Line extended from Haymarket to meet the [North British Railway] at North Bridge station.
  /  /1847[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Musselburgh Branch] opened and Fisherrow closed to passengers.
14/07/1847Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
  /  /1848[North British Railway]
Trinity College Church, Edinburgh, pulled down to make room for North Bridge station.
01/05/1848[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line extended from Gorebridge to Bowland.
20/04/1849[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line opened from Bowland to Hawick.
13/08/1849[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened from Drem Junction to Williamston
17/06/1850[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened completely to North Berwick
27/01/1851[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Wallace Nick station, by Kelso, closed.
  /10/1852[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Newstead station closed
26/05/1856[Forth and Clyde Junction Railway]
Opened throughout, operated by the [North British Railway].
  /07/1856[Jedburgh Railway]
Line opened, worked by [North British Railway]. Jedburgh station had an all-over roof which was supported by the engine shed and station building. It is so far from town a bus runs between the station and town.
  /  /1859[Selkirk and Galashiels Railway]
[North British Railway]
Selkirk and Galashiels Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860Border Counties RailwayNorth British Railway
Border Counties Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860[Jedburgh Railway]
[North British Railway]
Jedburgh Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860Clyde Trustees
Decide to build a wet dock (the Queens Dock) on their land at Stobcross. The North British Railway promotes the Stobcross Railway as a branch of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to serve it. (1860s).
01/06/1862[North British Railway]
Hawick Junction (at Portobello) becomes Portobello East Junction.
03/06/1862[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Monktonhall to Hardengreen authorised with branch to Macmerry.
01/07/1862[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Hawick [1st] closed to passengers on opening of the [Border Union Railway (North British Railway)].
29/07/1862Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee RailwayNorth British Railway
Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
29/07/1862[West of Fife Mineral Railway][North British Railway]
West of Fife Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
14/08/1862[Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway]
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway absorbed by [North British Railway]?
  /  /1863[Wansbeck Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wansbeck Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
  /  /1863[North British Railway]
Buy Charlestown Harbour and extend it east.
01/05/1863[Devon Valley Railway]
Opened from Kinross to Rumbling Bridge (worked by [North British Railway]).
01/08/1865[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1866Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton RailwayNorth British Railway
Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1866[Settle and Carlisle Line] ([Midland Railway])
Bill for the line presented with support from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, [Glasgow and South Western Railway] and the [North British Railway] (who did not have a partner for taking traffic from the [Border Union Railway] (Waverley Route) at Carlisle).
  /  /1867Forth and Clyde Canal
[Caledonian Railway]
Forth and Clyde Canal (and various assets such as the [Grangemouth Railway]) bought by Caledonian Railway to compete with the [North British Railway] in the Forth Clyde Valley.
  /  /1868[Settle and Carlisle Line] ([Midland Railway])
An agreement with the [London and North Western Railway] is reached over use of the [Ingleton Branch] ([Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]) and [Lancaster and Carlisle Railway] by the [Midland Railway]. The route would involve the [North Western Railway]. The [Midland Railway] tries to abandon the [Settle and Carlisle Line]. The [North British Railway] and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway block the abandonment.
  /  /1869[Forth Ironworks Railway]
Ironworks closed. Line taken over by the [North British Railway] as the [Kinnedar Branch] some time later.
  /  /1870[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall station masters house built.
19/03/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened from Monktonhall to Macmerry.
31/07/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Connection from Hardengreen Junction ([Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]) to Smeaton ([Macmerry Branch]) opened.
19/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate opened, used as a terminus by the [North British Railway]s [Coatbridge Branch] until the College terminus was complete.
  /  /1871[Esk Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Esk Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Under construction. Contractor: John Waddell.
  /  /1871[Wansbeck Railway]
[Newcastle and Berwick Railway]
Curve (authorised in original [Wansbeck Railway] Act) put in to allow [North British Railway] trains to run into the main Morpeth station in either 1871 or 1872. The two companies built the curve towards each other, meeting in the middle. On opening the [Wansbeck Railway] trains stopped using the Blyth and Tyne Railways [Morpeth Branch] terminus.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College station opened on a site previously occupied by the University of Glasgow.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened.
17/07/1871[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Auction Mart started by John Swan & Sons by the St Boswells station
26/10/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
Whifflet to College passenger service starts.
  /  /1872[Leslie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leslie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1872Northumberland Central RailwayNorth British Railway
Northumberland Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/05/1872[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton, Ormiston, Winton and Macmerry stations opened.
  /  /1873Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
North British Railway
Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1873Broxburn Railway
[North British Railway]
Broxburn Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1874Blyth and Tyne Railway
[North Eastern Railway]
Line absorbed by the North Eastern Railway to stop the [North British Railway] from acquiring the line and developing an independent route into Newcastle with a station.
20/10/1874Stobcross Railway
Line opened by the North British Railway. The Caledonian Railway obtained permission for running powers to Stobcross and for goods yards at Partickhill and Stobcross. The Caledonian managed to gain join ownership of the Stobcross high level to Stobcross low level connecting line.
29/10/1874Whiteinch Railway Whiteinch Tramway
Opened as a branch from the Stobcross Railway from an east facing Whiteinch Junction. Railway operated by North British Railway and tramway by the Wood brothers.
  /  /1875[Devon Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Devon Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1875Stobcross Railway
Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway) opened to Knightswood pits and brickworks, later extended to the Cowdenhill stone quarries.
  /  /1876Peebles RailwayNorth British Railway
Peebles Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Berwickshire Railway]
[North British Railway]
Berwickshire Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Penicuik Railway]
[North British Railway]
Penicuik Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1877[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1877[Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway]
Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
  /  /1877[Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway]
Dunfermline & Queensferry Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
St Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/06/1878[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Public opening of bridge and line between Camperdown Junction, Dundee (Tay Bridge) station and Leuchars. The Tay Bridge was single track and the other part of the line double. The bridge had signalboxes at either end. The engineer for the line was Thomas Bouch, knighted after Queen Victoria traveled over the bridge.
  /  /1879[Glasgow Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway absorbed by North British Railway (Alternative date 1879).
28/12/1879[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Tay Bridge Disaster. High Girders section of bridge falls in severe weather conditions. An evening train crossing the bridge falls with the High Girders and all on board are killed.
  /  /1880[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
[North British Railway]
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880[North British Arbroath and Montrose Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
  /  /1880[Carmyllie Railway]
Becomes joint [Caledonian Railway] and [North British Railway].
  /  /1880Tay Bridge and associated lines (North British Railway)
Locomotive retrieved from bottom of River Tay, nicknamed The Diver and put back in service. The letterbox, of Dalhousie station and now at the museum in Bellingham, was made from metal from this engine.
  /  /1881[Montrose and Bervie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Montrose and Bervie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1881[Blane Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Blane Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1883Glasgow and North Western Railway
Glasgow and North Western Railway proposed by North British Railway. The route was to have been Glasgow to Inverness via Fort William. It was not built.
27/04/1883[Caledonian Railway][North British Railway][Alloa Railway][South Alloa Branch]
North British Railway given running powers over the Alloa Railway and South Alloa Branch from Alloa to Greenhill Junction on payment of £3000 annually to the Caledonian Railway.
29/06/1883[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs station and approach lines south of Bellgrove taken over by the [Glasgow and South Western Railway]. Lines north of Bellgrove taken over by the [North British Railway].
28/07/1884Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)
Act passed. This was partly in response to the proposed incursion of the North British Railway's Glasgow and North Western Railway from Glasgow to Inverness via Loch Lomond, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Fort William and the Great Glen.
  /  /1885[Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1885[Kelvin Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Kelvin Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1886Tranent Waggonway
Tranent Colliery to Meadowhill taken over by the North British Railway, Meadowhill to Port Seton dismantled.
15/03/1886[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College terminus closed.
01/10/1886[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
Abbeyhill to Lochend opened to passengers and freight. This line effectively quadrupled the main line of the [North British Railway] from Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction and provided a useful diversionary route.
  /  /1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow City and District Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/02/1887Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
13/07/1887[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
New double track Tay Bridge opened. (Alternative date 6/1887).
  /  /1888North Monkland RailwayNorth British Railway
North Monkland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1889[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith New Lines planned; (Newhaven to Leith passenger terminus by [North British Railway]s Leith station, a triangular junction at Lochend with a line to Princes Street under the city with a branch to Waverley Market by Waverley station)
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade opened.
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Wormit opened.
26/07/1889[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway merged into North British Railway.
  /10/1889Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayAlloa Railway
Connection made between the North British Railway's Stirling and Dunfermline Railway and the Caledonian Railway's Alloa Railway.
  /  /1890[North British Railway]
Operate a horse bus in East Lothian.
02/06/1890[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour opened.
04/07/1890[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act received for a line from Newhaven to Seafield (Seafield Junction was for the line to the terminus and the [North British Railway] lines)
17/08/1890[North British Railway]
Six of the Forth Ferry Steamers now redundant and scrapped.
  /  /1891[Whiteinch Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British buys the smaller line.
03/07/1891[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
The [Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway]) are given an Act which allows a link from the Leith New Lines to Easter Road on the [North British Railway]. This connection was not built.
05/08/1891[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway]
[North British Railway]
Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1892Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
18/12/1893[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kincardine Junction to Kincardine opened.
17/09/1894[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kilbagie station opened.
  /  /1895[East Fife Central Railway]
[North British Railway]
East Fife Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1895[North British Railway]
Design chosen for the North British Hotel, Edinburgh, by Sir William Hamilton Beattie after a competition. North Bridge also raised.
01/04/1895[Hamiltonhill Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Branch to the Saracen foundry opened, but has to be closed as it was in breach of a formal agreement with the [North British Railway] which owned the nearby [Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway].
  /  /1896[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[North British Railway]
City of Glasgow Union Railway absorbed and divided between Glasgow and South Western Railway and North British Railway.
03/03/1896[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Line opened as a goods relief line between Invertiel Junction (Kirkcaldy) and Foulford (Cowdenbeath) with a goods station at Auchtertool.
01/10/1896[Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
The [North British Railway] is forced to put its Dumbarton Central to Balloch Pier line into joint ownership with the [Caledonian Railway] to stop the [Caledonian Railway] from building a second railway (the proposed Dumbarton, Jamestown and Loch Lomond Railway) from Dumbarton to Balloch.
  /  /1897[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1897[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/01/1897Whiteinch Railway
Opened to passengers. A new connection was made to the line from the west of Crow Road. This replaced an earlier line which crossed under Crow road and joined at Whiteinch Junction which was further east (to the south of Gartnavel Hospital). The route of this earlier line is now built over, but was slightly further south than the existing line. The North British Railway also built a spur from a west facing junction on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway to a north facing junction on the Stobcross Railway.
  /07/1897[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 partly opened.
  /  /1900[Newport Railway]
[North British Railway]
Newport Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1900[Eyemouth Railway]
[North British Railway]
Merged with North British Railway.
  /01/1900[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 opened completely.
06/08/1900[Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway]
[North British Railway]
Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1901Lauder Light Railway
Opened, new signal box opened at Fountainhall for the new junction on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
  /10/1901[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New Cadder hump shunted yard opened by the [North British Railway].
  /  /1902[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, opened.
12/01/1903Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service withdrawn.
22/07/1903[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[Highland Railway]
Line opened by Mrs Ellic of Glengarry, service operated by the [Highland Railway] who were keen to keep the [North British Railway] away from Inverness. Steamers connected the Pier station to Inverness via Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal.
17/08/1903[Princes Dock Joint Railway]
Joint line owned by the [Caledonian Railway], [Glasgow and South Western Railway] and [North British Railway] opened.
01/07/1906[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Line opened between Kincardine and Elbowbend Junction, contractor Robert McAlpine.
28/12/1906[Dundee and Arbroath Railway]
A [North British Railway] express which had been traveling from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local [Caledonian Railway] Arbroath to Dundee train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
25/04/1907[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[Rothesay Dock Branch] opened. The line was joint [North British Railway] and [Caledonian Railway].
01/05/1907[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway start running service.
  /  /1908[West Highland Railway]
[North British Railway]
West Highland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1908[Grangemouth Railway] ([Forth and Clyde Canal] Company)
By-pass line from Swing Bridge Junction to Fouldubs Junction opened, the western half was owned by the [North British Railway] (part of the former line to the [Carron Ironworks]) and the eastern by the [Caledonian Railway].
  /  /1908[Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway]
Absorbed by the [North British Railway].
31/12/1908[North British Railway]
[West Highland Railway]
North British Railway takes over the West Highland Railway line from Craigendoran to Mallaig and the branch to Banavie.
31/10/1911[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line closed to all traffic as North British withdraws.
  /  /1913[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Hardengreen Junction to Smeaton mothballed.
22/01/1913[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 opened, contractor Robert McAlpine.
01/08/1913[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line re-opened by North British.
  /05/1914Whiteinch Tramway
Wood Brothers liquidated and operation taken over by A and G Anderson using [North British Railway] engines and crew.
28/08/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway (Invergarry and Fort Augustus) vesting and confirmation act passed as the North British buys the line.
31/12/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway buys line and railway hotel at Fort Augustus.
18/08/1915[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 closed for repairs.
  /  /1916Whiteinch Tramway
[North British Railway] takes over operation.
14/12/1916[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
A major landslip at Ladhope Tunnel, just west of Galashiels station, blocks line.
  /  /1917[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Seafield Engine shed leased to the [North British Railway].
  /  /1919[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 re-opened.
29/03/1919[Cowdenbeath Loop] ([North British Railway])
All passenger trains start to use the Cowdenbeath (New) deviation.
  /  /1923[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Melrose station's timber roof removed.
01/01/1923North British Railway Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Gifford and Garvald Railway Newburgh and North Fife Railway Lauder Light Railway Great Central Railway
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
01/07/1925[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to passengers.
07/07/1930[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Alloa (Kincardine Junction) to Dunfermline via Culross closed to passengers.
22/09/1930[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton closed to passengers.
03/04/1933Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)
Gifford to Edinburgh (Monktonhall Junction) closed to passengers.
02/10/1933[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade closed.
  /  /1934[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton to Hardengreen Junction lifted.
  /  /1948[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
01/01/1948[British Railways]
[Forth Bridge Railway]
[London Midland and Scottish Railway]
[London and North Eastern Railway]
Britains railways are nationalised.
05/12/1949[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to passengers.
  /  /1950[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
  /  /1951[North British Railway]
Cockburnspath station closed.
07/04/1952[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central to Abbeyhill and Piershill closed to passengers.
19/09/1955[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Parkhead station closed.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
01/02/1958[London Extension] (Great Central Railway)
Route transferred to British Railways London Midland Region.
25/12/1958British Railways
For the first time, train services in Glasgow are reduced on Christmas Day.
  /07/1959Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
Failed class 303 blue trains, in use for driver training, replaced by British Railways Eastern Region Tilbury sets.
02/05/1960[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to freight. Goods depots at Macmerry and Winton closed.
05/08/1960[North British Railway]
Petition against closure of Portobello starts.
  /  /1962St Rollox works and Cowlairs Works
Transferred to British Railway's Workshops Division.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Ayton station closed.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Burnmouth station closed.
  /  /1963[British Railways]
Beeching Report; Re-shaping of Britains Railways Published.
17/11/1963[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Invertiel to Cowdenbeath closed.
  /  /1964[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall becomes de-staffed.
  /05/1964[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour closed to goods.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Grantshouse station closed.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Reston station closed.
15/06/1964[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to passengers.
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to passengers
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to passengers.
16/02/1965[British Railways]
Dr Beechings The re-shaping of Britains Railways report issued.
25/05/1965Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)
Saltoun to Smeaton (excluded) closed to freight. Ormiston goods depot closed.
  /07/1967[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove closed to cattle traffic. The Glasgow Cattle Market was located by the station.
01/04/1968[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to freight.
01/04/1968[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to freight.
05/08/1968[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North to George Street Depot closed to freight. (Accessed from former North British Railway lines latterly)
06/01/1969[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
28/04/1969[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Gorebridge, Lady Victoria Pit, (excluded) to Hawick [2nd] officially closed to goods.
05/01/1970Kinross-shire Railway Fife and Kinross Railway Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to passengers.
05/01/1970[Fife and Kinross Railway]
[Glenfarg Line] ([North British Railway])
Bridge of Earn to Milnathort closed to all traffic.
05/01/1970Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross Railway
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
07/12/1970[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to freight.
01/05/1972[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central (DMU servicing) to Abbeyhill Junction and Piershill Junction closed.
06/09/1972[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to freight. (Alternative dates: 1971, 7/12/1970).
31/12/1973[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith East Yard, last section of the line, closed. (Latterly accessed from [North British Railway] lines via Seafield Junction)
01/10/1977[British Railways]
In Fife all DMU services become second class.
  /  /1978[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith colliery closed.
02/10/1978[British Railways]
London to Aberdeen HSTs introduced.
  /  /1979Blindwells Opencast Mine
Rail served coal preparation and bunker plant opened by the former [North British Railway].
17/03/1979[North British Railway]
Tunnel collapse at Penmanshiel diversions of east coast trains via Carlisle required.
29/06/1979[British Railways]
£5 million contract to rationalise trackwork from Dalmeny to Cupar, Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath.
  /  /1980[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith washery closed, line closed completely from Monktonhall Junction.
04/04/1980[East Somerset Railway]
Trains start to run from Cranmore West to Merryfield Lane. The original Cranmore station was retained by [British Railways] for bitumen traffic.
21/09/1980[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove station burnt down.
  /05/1984[British Railways]
IC 125 services introduced to Inverness.
  /  /1985North British Railway
Perth Pool built on the former goods yard of the North British Railway by Perth station.
  /  /1987[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
British Rail Engineering Limited stop using St Rollox works. MC Metals continue to use the sidings for asbestos removal from stock.
  /  /1989Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Millerhill Yard Junction (by Millerhill MPD, approximate location of the former Cairnie station) to Millerhill Junction (south of the former Millerhill station) closed.
06/03/1989[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Crash at Bellgrove station when a train leaves Bellgrove station passing a red light (SPAD) and runs onto the single lead of the Springburn line striking a train leaving the branch. 2 were killed and 40 injured.
  /  /1991[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, becomes the Balmoral.
  /05/1991[British Railways]
Withdraw West Coast Main Line services from Euston to Inverness (The Clansman).
  /  /1994ScotRail PLC
ScotRail created during the privatisation of [British Railways].
  /  /1994[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
Abbeyhill loop retained by [British Railways] on transfer of operational infrastructure to Railtrack.
01/04/1994Railtrack PLC
Railtrack created during the privatisation of [British Railways] and the railway infrastructure transferred to it.
  /06/1994[North British Railway]
Wallyford station opened.
31/03/1997[British Railways]
The last British Rail trains, 23:55; Edinburgh Waverley to London Euston Sleeper, 23:55; London Euston to Edinburgh Waverley Sleeper.
  /04/1997[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Longannet to Kincardine Power station re-opened to freight.
  /03/1998[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Dalgety Bay station opened.
03/06/2002[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and Niddrie South Junction to Newcraighall re-opened to passengers with a stations at Brunstane and Newcraighall. A long reversing spur was provided south of Newcraighall from the new Newcraighall Junction.
27/05/2008[Muirkirk Branch GSWR]
Demolition approved by East Ayrshire Council for British Railways Board (Residual) of the Mosshouse Viaduct over the Bellow Water by Cronberry. The viaduct was in poor condition and would need replaced should the Powharnal line be re-opened. The viaduct was demolished by the end of the year 2008.
06/09/2015Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail)
Newcraighall North Junction to Tweedbank opened to passengers with stations at Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank. Newcraighall Junction renamed Newcraighall South Junction.