Duns

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Duns (1849-1951)

Opened on the Berwickshire Railway.

Opened on the Dunse Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station. The station was the terminus of the originally double track Dunse Branch (North British Railway) before it was extended to Ravenswood Junction, north of St Boswells, by the Berwickshire Railway in 1863. (Dunse is the old spelling for Duns.)

It was to become a terminus again in 1948 due to flood damage to the west, the Langton Burn Bridge was washed away. The station survived until 1951 for passengers and as a goods station it lasted until 1966. The loop was cut back before closure. A signal box (1893-1962), at the east end of the eastbound platform, was alongside the water tower and loco shed (both to its east).

There was originally a trainshed and the passenger station was rebuilt for the line's extension west.

The eastbound platform building and station masters house survives. The westbound platform building, combined with the goods shed, was demolished in the late 1990s.

There was a large goods yard on the south side of the line, served from the east. To the south of this was a saw mill, gas works and slaughter house. A large three storey granary building still stands to the south, this was served by a siding from a turnplate in the yard. The building is similar to the now demolished granary which stood at St Boswells. There was a two road locomotive shed (Duns Shed) with a turntable at the east end, on the north side of the line. To the west, beyond the road bridge, was a loading dock.

03/11/2018

Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map




Nearby stations
Crumstane
Edrom
Marchmont
Chirnside
Greenlaw
Grantshouse
Reston
Reston
Twizell
Norham
Coldstream
Ayton
Velvet Hall
Carham
Sunilaws

Other railway and industry locations
Duns Shed
Langton Burn Bridge
Chirnside Bridge
Chirnside Paper Mill
Lintmill Siding
Billiemains Siding
Auchencraw Siding
Blackadder Water Bridge
Greenside Quarry
Houndwood Siding
Tourist/other
Manderston House
Edrom Church
Marchmont House
Cockburn Law Fort
Edin^s Hall Broch
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.