Location type


Name and dates

Reston (1846-1964)

Opened on the North British Railway.


This was a three platform station and a junction. Goods and mineral trains from the south could enter the branch to Duns directly, passenger trains ran to a reversing spur south of the station before entering the branch. The awkward working was due to the station opening in 1846 and branch subsequently in 1849. The main station building, stone built and two storeys, was on the southbound platform.

The goods yard was to the north, on the east side of the line. It was reached by a reversing spur off the southbound line.

Between the main line and the branch were loops on the branch platform and a turntable. A series of sidings were accessed by a reversing spur to the south of the branch line.

The branch was originally double track. The Duns bound line was lifted on singling. It was extended to Ravenswood Junction on the Waverley Route by the Berwickshire Railway. This ceased to be a through route in 1948 after severe flood damage. Although it remained open as far as Duns for passengers until 1951. Reston station closed in 1964 and the branch closed in 1966/7.

There were two signal boxes from 1875: Reston West at the west (or north) end (replaced 1922 closed 1971) and Reston Junction to the east (or south) (replaced 1895 closed 1971).

Sidings were retained here, one on either side of the line, reached by reversal. The northside side (down) siding was disconnected in the 2000s and has been lifted. This had been the branch platform line.

The station building remains in use as a house.

Reston station has been considered for re-opening.

Reston itself is a village just to the north of the former station.


Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67