This line is closed.
It was a goods only line intended to provide the Caledonian Railway with a large goods yard near the Hamiltonhill Basin of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the north of Glasgow, but this yard was almost certainly not built at all although it is shown in some Post Office maps of Glasgow.
There was a siding to the Saracen Foundry from 1895 but this had to be closed in 1896 as it was in breach of an agreement with the North British Railway.
The first section of the line was extended by the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway to Dumbarton Central and gave the Caledonian Railway access to Balloch.
Part of the route between Eastfield and Possil was built along the course of an old waggonway which had run from pits at Eastfield to the Forth and Clyde Canal at Ruchill.
The line was double track, right up to the location where it petered out near Ruchill Hospital.
This branch first received an act in 1876, but it remained unbuilt and the act lapsed. It is probable that the access to North British Railway lines in the west of Glasgow, such as the Stobcross Railway to Partickhill and Queens Dock was a cheaper solution to building the line. The connection to the NBR lines was made at Sighthill East Junction.
The branch was revived in the 1890s as part of a scheme stretching from Robroyston as far west as Clydebank, Dumbarton and Loch Lomond, the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. The planned short section of branch from Possil Junction to Hamiltonhill Goods being a very minor part of the whole, but the Balornock Junction to Possil Junction portion was part of the through line.
|26/11/1894||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Possil Junction (Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Maryhill Central opened.
|26/11/1894||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Balornock Junction to Hamiltonhill opened.
|01/04/1895||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Branch to the Saracen Foundry opened, but has to be closed as it was in breach of a formal agreement with the North British Railway which owned the nearby Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the goods branch first promoted in 1876. Initially it connected with the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) line until the fork to Milton Junction (Glasgow) opened around the time of the completion of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway which extended the line west to Dumbarton Central.
This was a four way double track junction. From here a line ran west to Germiston Junction Low (1886), south to Blackhill Junction (same line, 1886), north west to Possil Junction (1894, box opened) and east to Robroyston West Junction (1896).
This is a hospital in the north east of Glasgow. The original hospital opened in 1904 and a new one on part of the site in 2009.
This goods yard was on the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway). It was east of Balgrayhill Road on the north side of the line and approached, by reversal, from the east.
This was the junction between the Hamiltonhill Branch and the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. This was a double track junction.