Milton Junction [Glasgow]

Location type


Name and dates

Milton Junction [Glasgow] (1849-1968)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.
Opened on the Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway).


At this junction the lines from the original Glasgow terminus of the 1831 Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway at St Rollox [1st] was met by the later (1849) line to the more suitable terminus at Glasgow Buchanan Street. The former, the southern pair of lines, also served the St Rollox Works. The latter, the northern pair of lines, also served Balornock Shed. After the opening of Buchanan Street the southern pair of lines became goods lines.

The original signal box here was on the south side of the junction. The box was burned down and replaced in 1908. The replacement was opened on the north side (with the connection to Balornock Junction from Robroyston West Junction passing to its north).

The original alignment was out of use by 1966 (officially 1968), access to the works being via Sighthill East Junction afterwards. The box lasted until 1971, when it was also destroyed in a fire.


Junction fire


The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways