This railway is closed. The line connected the railways on the south side of Glasgow at Dalmarnock with the north side at Germiston, and also provided sidings for the Parkhead Forge. The line made use of an earlier branch to the Blochairn Steel Works from Germiston and was formed of two portions. The connection to Germiston connected onto the approach to Buchanan Street.
|12/04/1877||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
London Road opened for goods.
|01/04/1879||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
London Road opened for passengers. Stations at; Rutherglen, Dalmarnock and London Road.
|02/08/1886||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension from London Road to Blochairn Goods opened.
|26/11/1894||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
Blochairn Goods to Blackhill Junction opened.
|01/11/1895||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
London Road closed.
|11/03/1896||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
Balornock Junction to Robroyston opened.
|07/09/1964||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
Balornock Junction to London Road closed.
|/01/1984||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
London Road High Level closed to goods (except rare scrap workings).
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the junction between the Buchanan Street to Milton Junction line and the line to Balornock Junction with lines to Dumbarton Central, Robroyston West Junction and south to Rutherglen by The Switchback (Caledonian Railway). The link, and the line to Buchanan Street, closed in 1966.
This was a four way double track junction. From here a line ran west to Germiston Junction Low (1886), south to Blackhill Junction (same line, 1886), north west to Possil Junction (1894, box opened) and east to Robroyston West Junction (1896).
At this junction the 1884 Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway) from [[Germiston Junction High] on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway] (1831) was met in 1886 by a curve of the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) to Germiston Junction Low on the 1849 Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway).
This junction opened in 1886 when the 1884 Blochairn Branch (Caledonian Railway) was extended south by the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) to London Road Junction [Glasgow] to meet the 1877 Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway). The Switchback not only connected the Caledonian Railway's northern and southern systems in Glasgow but also served the [[Parkhead Iron ...More details
This goods yard was on the west side of the goods only The Switchback (Caledonian Railway). The sidings were approached from the north. It was a goods and mineral depot.
This forge in Parkhead was built around 1837 for Reoch Brothers & Co. It grew under William Beardmore's ownership to become a large concern, manufacturing a broad range of products including armaments and heavy steel plate. It was associated with the Beardmore Ship Yard, Inchterf Proving Range and Inchinnan Airship Constructional Station. The larger portfolio extended to ...More details
This junction was controlled by Parkhead Iron Works signal box, the box and sidings opening with the line.
This junction was at the south end of London Road [Glasgow] passenger (1879) and goods (1877) stations and was where The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) of 1885 extended the Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway) of 1877.