At this junction the 1884 Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway) from Germiston Junction High on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway] (1831) was met in 1886 by a curve of the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) to Germiston Junction Low on the 1849 Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway).
The signal box, opened with the junction, was on the east side of the junction. A siding to the Provanmill Distillery branched off to the north east, passing round the east side of the box.
The Provan Gas Works opened on the west side. Looped sidings were laid on the west side which had a connection south of the junction and this loop ran south to rejoin at Blochairn Junction. Sidings ran into the gas works from the loops.
The Germiston Low link closed in 1962, whereupon this ceased to be a junction and the box closed. The remaining line closed in 1966.
The site was obliterated by the construction and course of the M80.
St Rollox [2nd]
| Provan Gas Works|
Anchor Chemical works
Germiston Junction High
Milton Junction [Glasgow]
Germiston Junction Low
Provan Gas Works Headshunt
Robroyston West Junction
Robroyston Brick Works
Sighthill East Junction [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/08/1886||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension from Parkhead Junction [CR] to Blochairn Junction opened. Blackhill Junction to Germiston Junction Low (Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)) also opened.
|/ /1899||Provan Gas Works|
Agreement made between the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow Corporation for access to Provan Gas Works. (Connections from Germiston Junction High, incoming, and Blackhill Junction, outgoing.)