Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway)



Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This seemingly grandiosely named junction was named for the Strathclyde Print Works which was on the north bank of the River Clyde by Dalmarnock House. In 1866 the Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened from Dalmarnock Junction, Rutherglen, north to Bridgeton Goods, the line passing along the western boundary of the works. The junction was formed in 1877 when the ...

More details
Coming together. View south approximately half way between Dalmarnock station and the River Clyde on 1 April 2007. To the left is the trackbed of the ...
John Furnevel 01/04/2007
Ex-NB J36 0-6-0 65232 shunting at Strathclyde Junction on 17 May 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957
Scene at Strathclyde Junction on 17 May 1957 as Fairburn 2-6-4 tank 42164 brings a train of empty stock north across the river. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957
Just south of Strathclyde Junction is this view looking south to Rutherglen. The yard on the left is Bridgeton Yard for the Civil Engineer. The line ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This station was at a high level on a viaduct above street level. The line opened in 1877 and in 1879 a passenger service started with stations at Bridgeton and London Road [Glasgow being served. The line was an extension of the original Dalmarnock Branch and Dalmarnock Junction was upgraded for the additional traffic.
...

More details

This junction was at the south end of London Road [Glasgow] passenger (1879) and goods (1877) stations and was where The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) of 1885 extended the Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway) of 1877.
...

More details
Ex-Caledonian 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 57456 heading south down the Switchback on the approach to London Road Junction, Dalmarnock, on 2 June 1949. Celtic Park ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1949


This was a terminus on the south side of London Road. There was a large goods yard (opened 1877) to the east of the passenger station (opened 1879) and Dalmarnock Iron Works Siding on the west side for William Arrol's Dalmarnock Iron Works.
...

More details
Looking south east at the former London Road depot. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking south east at the former London Road depot. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Rail Embankment being cleared to make way for the New National Indoor Velodrome ...
Colin Harkins /07/2007
Rail Embankment being cleared to make way for the New National Indoor Velodrome ...
Colin Harkins /07/2007