This railway is closed except for a short section from Rutherglen to Strathclyde Junction. The line crossed the River Clyde and provided an east end terminus at London Road near Bridgeton and Parkhead where a very large goods yard was developed.
With the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway the line was moved sideways to the east to cross the new Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen]. This allowed the new line to use the original Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen] [1st].
These locations are along the line.
This is an island platform station. It opened with the Argyle Line (the re-opened Glasgow Central Railway) in 1979 and the remaining part of Rutherglen [3rd] on the main line closed. The station is overshadowed by the M74 Motorway extension. which passes overhead. Entry is by one of two footbridges, one from just off Farmeloan Road (to the east) and another from Victoria Street (to ...More details
This yard is on the east side of the lines at the north end of Rutherglen station. Its northern connection is, by reversal, at Rutherglen North Junction and its southern connection is at Rutherglen Central Junction. The yard consists of looped sidings on its west side and dead end sidings on its east side, approached from the south. The dead end sidings were in two groups, the eastern ...More details
This junction was replaced by the present Rutherglen North Junction, the present junction being south of the former Clydebridge Junction (the original Rutherglen North Junction [1st] was further south).
This seemingly grandiosely named junction was named for the Strathclyde Print Works which was on the north bank of the River Clyde by Dalmarnock House. In 1866 the Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened from Dalmarnock Junction, Rutherglen, north to Bridgeton Goods, the line passing along the western boundary of the works. The junction was formed in 1877 when the ...More details