London Road [Glasgow] (1879-1895)
Opened on the Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a terminus on the south side of London Road. There was a large goods yard (opened 1877) to the east of the passenger station (opened 1879) and Dalmarnock Iron Works Siding on the west side for William Arrol's Dalmarnock Iron Works.
The station had two platforms and the offices were on the corner of London Road and Mordaunt Street. The buildings had small glazed canopies at the buffers end of the station.
The goods yard was generously laid out with four groups of sidings.
The siding for the Dalmarnock Iron Works was reached by reversal from the passenger station. The works expanded out from Dunn Street, having been founded in 1868.
A line opened round the east side of the yard in 1886. To the south this started at London Road Junction [Glasgow] and ran north to Blochairn Junction. It left the terminus on a short branch.
The station closed to passengers in 1895, replaced by Parkhead Stadium, across London Road and to the north east, on the new Glasgow Central Railway, which ran below London Road. This provided a better connection to the city.
The line round the east side closed in 1964.
By the 1980s the goods yard was used as a scrap yard, scrap leaving by rail. It closed around 1986. The site remained derelict for years afterwards.
The site was cleared for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
The passenger station site is now the A728. The Emirates Arena including the 'Sir Chirs Hoy Velodrome', and housing developments occupy the site of the former goods yard.
Other railway and industry locations
Dalmarnock Iron Works Siding
London Road Tunnel
Dalmarnock Iron Works
London Road Junction [Glasgow]
Dalmarnock Road Tunnel
Parkhead Junction [CR]
Dalmarnock Gas Works
Bridgeton Gas Works
Camlachie Goods Yard
Parkhead Tram Depot
Duke Street Tunnels
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|