Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line is open. The line runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts. Also known as The Shotts line.

Opened in 1869. Very much undermined as an Edinburgh-Glasgow route until the line between Mossend and Uddingston opened in 1878.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction was formed in 1869 when the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) opened. It met the much older 1834 Wishaw and Coltness Railway Cleland branch here, built to serve collieries and the Omoa Iron Works (1789-1868).
...

More details

This siding was on the south side of the line, accessed from the west. By reversal a line south west to the site former Omoa Iron Works and on to Ravenshall Colliery Pits Nos 35 and 40 and Omoa Junction.
...

More details


This junction opened with the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) in 1869. It linked that line via a curve (the Drumbowie Branch) from west to north to meet the 1864 Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) at Langbyres Junction.
...

More details

This is two platform station with a car park, footbridge and permanent way siding on its north side, approached from the east.
...

More details
The morning Voyager from Polmadie to Edinburgh passes through Cleland at first light on 4th October 2018.
...
Iain Teaz 04/10/2018
A GBRf Class 66 takes a Millerhill to Kingmoor engineering train through Cleland station on 27th September 2018.
...
Iain Teaz 27/09/2018
The GB XII Railtour westbound through Cleland station on Thursday 2nd May 2019 behind 61264 and 44871.
...
Iain Teaz 02/05/2019
156502, on the 0713 Glasgow Central to Waverley stopping service, calls at Cleland on 27th September 2018. ...
Iain Teaz 27/09/2018

This is a ten arch double track masonry viaduct. It is east of Cleland station, formerly Omoa.
...

More details
A clear pre-electrification view from Cleland station as 156462 on a limited stop service from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Shotts crosses the ...
Colin McDonald 26/08/2016
The impressive Cleland Viaduct, seen here looking north from Bellside Road in March 2006. Cleland station stands approximately 200m to the west of ...
John Furnevel 20/03/2006

This signal box, east of Cleland Viaduct and station, controll access to Bellside Brick Works and Bellside Quarry.Later it gave access to Bellside Colliery.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. It was opened in the countryside to the south east of Hartwood Hospital. A small village has grown around the station site.
...

More details
A 477 rounds the curve as it leaves Hartwood heading east on an E&G diversion. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Eastbound 477 to the east of Hartwood on E&G diversion. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
HST 43157 round the curve as it leaves Hartwood heading east on an E&G diversion. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Eastbound 47 hauled train to the east of Hartwood on E&G diversion. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988



This was the signal box for Curryside Colliery, to the south of the line and with a trailing siding approached by reversal from the west. The box was on the south side of the line by the connection.
...

More details

This is a two platform station, the station for which the Cleland to Kirknewton line is known as the Shotts line. The station has a car park on its south side (westbound platform) and ramp access via a long bridge on its north side (eastbound platform). An original stone built station building survives on the westbound platform.
...

More details
Temporarily functioning as a modernist art installation set in the platform 1 garden, this OHLE mast base gives evidence of progress of the ...
Colin McDonald 03/08/2017
A slightly delayed Edinburgh - Glasgow service passes under the new Station Road overbridge opened to traffic a few days previously. Some landscaping ...
Colin McDonald 18/08/2017
A Glasgow - Edinburgh service departs from platform 2 passing under the new Station Road overbridge which is due to open to traffic in a few days ...
Colin McDonald 03/08/2017
From 22nd April 2019 the Class 385 EMUs have taken over services on the Shotts line, as seen here with 385019 the following day. ...
John Yellowlees 23/04/2019

This signal box controlled the Caledonan Railway's access to the Shotts Ironworks Railways from the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway). The works opened in 1801.
...

More details

This junction was between Shotts and Fauldhouse. From the junction a mineral line ran north to the Benhar Colliery and, latterly, north east to Polkemmet Colliery. Approach to the branch was from the west.
...

More details
Benhar Junction where the Caledonian's Benhar Branch joined the Shotts line. View looking east in 2000. The Benhar Branch, which ultimately served ...
Ewan Crawford //2000
Pat Swift learning the frame at Benhar Junction as the signalman nervously looks on (1978). ...
William Barr //1978
Benhar Junction frame in 1978 with hairy Motherwell secondman! ...
William Barr //1978
9T26 for Ravenscraig number two waiting for the road on the Benhar branch. July 1978. ...
William Barr /07/1978

This is a two platform station. There is a very small car park on the north side.
...

More details
Replacement of the footbridge has provided clearance for electrification. ...
John Yellowlees 28/04/2016
A Glasgow to Edinburgh service pulls into Fauldhouse on an icy 17 January 2019. The building in the background is the store for Scottish prisons. I ...
David Panton 17/01/2019
Pre-electrification view from the new footbridge at Fauldhouse on 31st August 2016. The Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway passed under the ...
Colin McDonald 31/08/2016
Looking east along the platform at Fauldhouse on a cold day in February 2006 following a sprinkling of snow. ...
John Furnevel 13/02/2006

This goods yard was east of Fauldhouse station. The goods yard was on the north side of the line and approached from the east. The yard consisted of sidings and a loading bank.
...

More details


This junction was east of Fauldhouse station and Fauldhouse Viaduct. It was the junction for the Mouldron Branch (Caledonian Railway) (authorised as Cleland and Midcalder Railway No 4). The branch was on the south side of the main line and trains leaving the branch would head west.
...

More details
Looking to Mouldron Junction from the former branch which ran to Levenseat Quarry and Mouldron Colliery. In the distance the line runs off to ...
Ewan Crawford 06/12/2003

This was the junction for the lime workings south east of Fauldhouse. (Nearby, to the west, was Mouldron Junction for the iron ore mines to the south of Fauldhouse.)
...

More details

Breich is a two platform station on the former Caledonian Railway's Edinburgh and Glasgow line via Bellshill, Shotts and Kirknewton. The station formerly had a building, typical of the line, on the westbound platform. The station has relatively low platforms and an old footbridge. It is a very quiet station - often, in statistics, shown to have the fewest passengers in Scotland.
...

More details
EE 86638 on the first live run Westbound Mid Calder Jct to Holyton Jct on the approach to Breich Station on a beautiful sunny morning ...
Gordon Steel 24/02/2019
A quick chase grab shot of EE 86638 on the first live Westbound test run between Mid Calder Jct and Holyton Jct just after leaving Breich Station. ...
Gordon Steel 24/02/2019
The view from the waiting shelter at Breich of the footbridge and platforms. ...
Ewan Crawford 08/10/2017
Glasgow bound at Breich showing the very low platforms but modern furniture, the closure notices and the empty surroundings. The village and its bus ...
John Yellowlees 27/06/2017

This was a double junction. Two mineral lines began here:
...

More details

This is a two platform station. It has a small car park on the north side.
...

More details
New footbridge at Addiewell, raised for electrification, seen on 11th April 2018. ...
John Yellowlees 11/04/2018
Sprinter 156435 approaching Addiewell, on the 14.06 service to Glasgow Central from Edinburgh Waverley, on 1st May 2019. ...
Gordon Steel 01/05/2019
'Out with the Old in with the New'!!!!!! New 3 car EMU 385025, straight out of the box, (no flies on me) on the 14.07 ex Glasgow Central to Edinburgh ...
Gordon Steel 01/05/2019
The hourly flurry of activity at Addiwell, seen on 12 November 2018 with an Edinburgh train on the right. The footbridge, installed earlier this year, ...
David Panton 12/11/2018

This signal box was located east of the present day Addiewell station. It was on the north side of the line at the point where the exchange sidings for Young's Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Company's 1865 Addiewell Chemical Works, (a shale oil works) were located. These were on the north side of the line, approached from the east. Access into the works was by running to the west and ...

More details


This is a two platform station. A stone station building still stands on the westbound platform. This is the best preserved station building on the line. Mei Hua Platform is based in the station building. There is a car park south of the station. The goods shed remains at the west end of the station, south of the line, in other uses. The lattice ...

More details
A new lift tower is under construction at West Calder. ...
John Yellowlees 15/11/2017
The recently installed lift towers at West Calder are hard to miss. A Glasgow Central to Edinburgh stopping service calls on 21 August 2018. ...
David Panton 21/08/2018
A Glasgow to Edinburgh semi-fast calls at West Calder carrying Black Friday
...
David Panton 24/11/2017
'... Carstairs Junction and Lanark.' This road sign near West Calder station is a neat listing of the closed stations on the Midcalder Junction to ...
David Panton 15/03/2018


This was the eastern end of the 1871 Addiewell Loop (Caledonian Railway) (or West Calder loop). The loop was on the north side of the 1869 Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway). Approach to the single track loop was from the east. There were several sidings in the 'V' of the junction. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. The loop was to serve several works and ...

More details


This was a two platform station on the Shotts line. There was a goods yard on its north side, approached from the east and a siding on the south side, east of the station, approached from the west. The signal box was a the east end of the westbound platform.
...

More details
Provender store at the former Newpark Station, closed on 14 September 1959. ...
Bill Roberton //1994

This is a modern minimal two platform station which opened in 1984 on an embankment. The station has a car park on the north side.
...

More details
Livingston South - and its Mini-Me. The smaller sign is embossed with Braille. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Well, I can think of a number ...
David Panton 01/08/2019
Livingston South station was substantially rebuilt in ten days over Easter 2018. On 21 August it is not looking quite as raw as it did when I visited ...
David Panton 21/08/2018
The newly (and quickly) reconstructed station inevitably looks very raw, but is fully accessible despite being incomplete. OHLE masts are up either ...
David Panton 16/04/2018
A stopping service for Edinburgh (right) passes a semi-fast for Glasgow at the newly reconstructed, longer platformed Livi South. The new station is ...
David Panton 16/04/2018




This is the junction between the Caledonian Railway's Carlisle to Edinburgh Princes Street main line of 1848 and its Edinburgh and Glasgow railway, via Shotts, of 1869.
...

More details
On 26th February a Cross Country Voyager passes just beyond Midcalder Junction on its way from Glasgow to Plymouth. This is a cross-country journey ...
Malcolm Chattwood 26/02/2016
West and south of Midcalder Junction is an Edinburgh train heading for Carstairs and Carlisle. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988