This junction was between Shotts and Fauldhouse. From the junction a mineral line ran north to the Benhar Colliery and, latterly, north east to Polkemmet Colliery. Approach to the branch was from the west.
The junction opened with the main line in 1869 to serve an area already served by the former Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. Locations served included the Caledonian Oil Works, Fallahill Colliery Pit No 3, Starryshaw Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 and Harthill Siding.
There were dead end sidings to the west of the junction which would allow a train from the west to reverse to enter the branch. Further dead end sidings, with a water tank (the Caledonian Railway had a reservoir just to the north) and weigh bridge were in the 'V' of the junction to the east. The signal box was to the north of these with the branch line to its north. A further set of dead end sidings, approached from the junction, was just to the north again.
The signal box closed in 1981, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Polkemmet Colliery closed in 1984, was flooded, and was abandoned in 1986, when the line was lifted. Sidings were left at the junction.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
| Leadloch Colliery Pit No 1|
Caledonian Oil Works
Thornton Pit No 2
Thornton Pit No 1
Fallahill Colliery Pit No 4
Fallahill Colliery Pit No 3
Fauldhousehills Sandstone Quarry
Braehead East Quarry
Starryshaw Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Benhar Weigh Siding
Fallahill Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1870||Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to purchase land by Benhar Junction on the Leadloch Estate for a reservoir close to the junction exchange sidings.
Vanished Railways of West Lothian