This is a two platform station. It has a small car park on the north side.
It was built to serve Young's Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Company's 1865 Addiewell Chemical Works, (a shale oil works) and Addiewell, a model (ie ideal) village built for the oil works, which was to the north (modern day Addiewell is to the north west).
The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
About a mile to the west was Woodmuir Junction.
Just to the east of the station, on the north side of the line and accessed from the east, was the exchange sidings for the oil works, controlled by Addiewell Oil Works Signal Box which was burned down in 1936.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
| Addiewell Goods [NB]|
Addiewell Oil Works Signal Box
Addiewell Chemical Works
Burngrange Shale Mine Pit No 39
Westwood Oil works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1867||Caledonian Railway|
A new Haywood (opened 1860) to Addiewell line authorised. (Not built.)
|/ /1869||Caledonian Railway|
Proposed Haywood to Addiewell line abandoned. (Addiewell reached by the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) in 1869).
|01/07/1882||Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway).|
Addiewell station opened.
Vanished Railways of West Lothian