Haywood

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Haywood (1868-1951)

Opened on the Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

Haywood was a two platform station at the limit of the double track line from the triangular junction with the main line of the Caledonian Railway. Going west the line was single track to Wilstontown and beyond. There was a footbridge at the west end of the station.

There was a single public siding on the south side of the line, west of the station and approached from the west. A mineral line ran from the same point north east to serve Haywood Colliery Pit No 8 and on to Harryfoothill.

There was a signal box until 1946 when it was replaced with a ground frame. The line east was singled. The footbridge at the level crossing to the west of the station was removed. The westbound line was lifted. Of the triangular junction only the west to south curve was retained.

The station closed to passengers in 1951.

The mining village of Haywood was to the south east.

The line closed in 1964. The trackbed is now a dirt road.

To the east was Lower Haywood box which controlled access to the Lawhead and Cleugh branch.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map


Nearby stations
Wilsontown
Auchengray
Cobbinshaw [2nd]
Cobbinshaw [1st]
Breich
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
Longridge [1st]
Longridge [2nd]
Fauldhouse
Bents
Headlesscross
Addiewell
Carnwath
Foulshiels
Carstairs Hospital

Other railway and industry locations
Lower Haywood Signal Box
Haywood Colliery Pit No 10
Haywood Colliery Pit No 4
Pool Colliery
Haywood Colliery Pit No 14
Cleuch Colliery
Coal Pit
Wilsontown West Junction
Ironstone pits
Wilsontown Iron Works
Wilsontown Junction [2nd]
Wilsontown North Junction
Shaft
Shaft
Wilsontown Colliery Pit No 9
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.