Wilsontown Junction [2nd]

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Wilsontown South Junction (1866-1946)
Wilsontown Junction [2nd] (1946-1964)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was the southern junction of a triangular junction. The other junctions were Wilsontown West Junction and Wilsontown North Junction.

The junction opened in 1866 to connect the 1860 Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway) from Wilsontown West Junction to the 1848 Caledonian Railway's Carstairs to Edinburgh line.

This new curve was approached from the south.

It was a double track junction. The signal box was on the west side of the junction.

A passenger service to Wilsontown from Auchengray began in 1867.

The Wilsontown north to west curve closed in 1945 and the north box closed.

In 1946 the Wilsontown branch was singled. Wilsontown South Junction was renamed Wilsontown Junction. The junction became a single lead junction. The westbound line was lifted.

The Wilsontown branch and the west to south curve closed in 1964.

The main line remains open. The formation of the curve to the west is partly landscaped.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map