Wilsontown West Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Wilsontown West Junction (1866-1945)

Opened on the Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was the western junction of a triangular junction. The other junctions were Wilsontown North Junction and Wilsontown South Junction.

The junction opened in 1866 to connect the 1860 Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway) to the 1848 Caledonian Railway's Carstairs to Edinburgh line.

This new curve was approached, on the branch, from the west.

It was a double track junction. The signal box was on the south side of the junction.

A passenger service to Wilsontown from Auchengray began in 1867.

The Wilsontown north to west curve closed in 1945 and the north and west boxes closed.

In 1946 the Wilsontown branch was singled. Wilsontown South Junction was renamed Wilsontown Junction.

The Wilsontown branch and the west to south curve closed in 1964.

The main line remains open. The formation of junction is mostly landscaped, although fence lines remain to show its approximate location.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map