Omoa Junction (1864-1935)
Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
This junction was at the end of the double track section from Cleland Junction. There was a junction here between the line to the former Omoa Iron Works and the route to Morningside [CR]. The signal box was on the south side of the junction.
The line from Cleland Junction was a rebuilding of a much older Wishaw and Coltness Railway branch of 1834 built to serve the Omoa Iron Works. A mineral line continued to the iron works site (closed 1868) and terminated at Omoa Iron Works Signal Box where previously it had continued as a privately owned mineral line to collieries. The 1864 rebuilding had continued east as a new line which ran on to Newmains and Morningside Junction.
From the private iron works lines an approach was made to Ravenshall Colliery Pits Nos 35 and 40 which crossed the Caledonian line on the level to run south west to the colliery.
The original Wishaw and Coltness Railway alingment remained partly open west from the junction to serve collieries. (This alignment was parallel and to the north of the later alignment.)
The box closed in 1934, the line closing around 1935 between Cleland Junction and Cleland [1st].
The formation still exists, now overgrown.
Other railway and industry locations
Omoa Iron Works
Knownoble Colliery Pit No 2
Knownoble Colliery Pit No 1
Omoa Iron Works Signal Box
Townhead Colliery Pit No 43
Knownoblehill Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Spindleside Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7
Glencleland Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Coal and Ironstone Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|