Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
This was a station and junction. The station had a single platform on the 1864 single track line from Morningside [CR] to Drumbowie Junction. The platform was on the east side of the line. The goods yard was to the east, accessed from the north.
The station was a similar distance away from the Coltness Iron Works as Morningside [CR] station was from the works.
Newmains station was to the north east of Newmains village, which was developed for the works. The bridge was designed to cross three tracks - a single track (for the works) and a double track (the passenger line of which only one was laid).
Alongside the north end of the platform the line split with a connection into the Coltness Iron Works splitting off and running parallel under Bonkle Road before striking off to the south west to the works.
The signal box was at the north end of the station platform with the running lines to the west and goods yard to the east. It opened in 1867, with the station. The station closed in 1930 and the box closed in 1934.
Further south, on the line to Morningside [CR], was Newmains Junction with a branch leading west to Cambusnethan.
The line north from the station closed in 1947 leaving the north end of the station as a reversing spur for accessing the iron works from the north.
The remaining line closed in 1951. The station site has been cleared since complete closure of the line.
The trackbed remains as a dirt path and the Bonkle Road bridge still stands. The platform area and goods yard are now housing.
Other railway and industry locations
Newmains Signal Box
Coltness Iron Works Signal Box
Coltness Colliery Bailliesmuir Pit No 1
Chapel Colliery [Newmains]
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Coltness Iron Works
Coltness Cement Works
Allanton Brick and Tile Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|