Newmains Junction (1901-1914)
Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway).
This junction opened when the 1901 Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway) met the1864 Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
The junction was east of the Coltness Iron Works but without any direct connection.
The new line from Wishaw was double track. The existing line was single track, doubling on approach to the junction from both directions. The Wishaw route passed underneath the southern approach lines to the iron works, passing under a series of bridges.
The signal box, opened with the junction, was on the west side.
The new line was not a success and was short lived, closing in 1914 and not re-opening after the Great War. The box also closed. The remaining lne closed in 1951.
Post closure landscaping has obliterated the junction and lines nearby.
Other railway and industry locations
Coltness Iron Works
Coltness Cement Works
Allanton Brick and Tile Works
Coltness Iron Works Signal Box
Allanton Iron Foundry
Chapel Colliery [Newmains]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|