Kirknewton

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Midcalder (1848-1982)
Kirknewton (1982-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts.


Description

This is a two platform station to the immediate east of a level crossing. The main station building is on the eastbound platform and it is a miles east of Midcalder Junction.

There was a goods yard to the north of the station, approached from the east.

Camps Junction, for the short branch to Camps Quarry and Camps Lime Works, was just to the east of the station.

Some passenger trains from Edinburgh Princes Street to Balerno (to the east) along the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway) (really a loop) continued to Midcalder to terminate.

The goods yard has been removed but the station is still open. The rather fine station building still stands and is now a house.

The station is just west of Kirknewton. This village was considerably smaller when the railway opened and has expanded towards the station.

There is no station footbridge, passengers must cross by the nearby level crossing. Network Rail has identified this the third most dangerous crossing in Scotland. It may be replaced by a tunnel. Scotsman

04/08/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map