Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed. The line ran from Slateford in Edinburgh to Balerno. The route is now a cycle-way.






Dates

  /  /1841Woodhall Paper Mill
Converted from white paper to brown paper, served by the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway) on the railway^s opening in 1874
  /  /1865Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Act for the line authorised.
  /  /1869Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Proposed line abandoned.
  /  /1870Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
New version of the Balerno branch authorised.
  /  /1870Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
A connection at the west end of the Balerno branch is authorised from Ravelrig Junction, making the branch into a loop off the Edinburgh branch of the Caledonian Railway. Balerno Goods would now be left on a short branch.
01/08/1874Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Loop opened along with Balerno Goods. Stations opened at Colinton, Juniper Green, Currie [2nd] and Balerno.
  /  /1890Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Villa building starts around Colinton.
11/09/1939Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Balerno (excluded) - Ravelrig Junction (excluded) closed to passengers.
01/11/1943Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Balerno to Edinburgh (Balerno Junction) closed to passengers (official date 13 June 1949).
13/06/1949Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Balerno to Edinburgh (Balerno Junction) officially closed to passengers, although actually suspended in 1943.
11/08/1958Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Juniper Green closed to goods.
04/12/1967Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Balerno Goods to Balerno Junction and Balerno Goods Junction to Ravelrig Junction closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Slateford to Ravelrig via Balerno

This junction was at the east end of the Balerno Branch and connected the 1874 single track branch to the 1848 main line railway.
...

More details

See also
Caledonian Railway
Balerno Junction looking south west in 1999. The open main line is to the right and the trackbed of the Balerno route is to the left, the walker being ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Class 20 no 20103 (still with tablet catcher recess) and sister locomotive head west light engine at the site of Balerno Junction in July 1978. ...
Bill Roberton /07/1978
The Balerno branch - seen here crossing the Union Canal looking towards Balerno Junction - lost its passenger services in 1943, but freight would ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 02/11/1964
3 of 3 images.


This siding was between Hailes Halt (to the south) and Balerno Junction (to the north). The siding was on the south side of the line, above the Water of Leith, and accessed from the Balerno Junction direction. The siding had a loop and goods shed. A bridge connected the yard to Kate^s Mill itself, on the south side of the Water of Leith.
...

More details


A 1999 view looking to Balerno from the site of Hailes Halt. The Water of Leith is on the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
1 of 1 images.


This is a single track, single bore, 150 yd tunnel between Colinton and Hailes Halt. ...

More details
Artwork covers the entire 153 yards of Colinton Tunnel^s brickwork, as seen here in August 2020. ...
John Yellowlees 15/08/2020
The Colinton Tunnel, on the old Balerno branch, now boasts an extensive mural throughout its length.
...
John Yellowlees 15/08/2020
Not just murals inside Colinton Tunnel but also outside too. This is the approach to the north portal in August 2020. ...
John Yellowlees 15/08/2020
The south western portal of Colinton Tunnel in August 2020. See image 60441 from just three years earlier - quite a contrast. ...
John Yellowlees 15/08/2020
4 of 7 images. more


This was a single platform station with a typical Caledonian Railway small station timber building. The station was immediately west of Colinton Tunnel.
...

More details
Remains of the goods platform at Colinton in July 2017, looking west below the B701 road bridge towards Balerno. See image 56932 ...
John Furnevel 27/07/2017
View north east to the bridge carrying Bridge Road over the site of Colinton station and, to the right, the Water of Leith. The goods yard platform is ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Plaque on a cairn alongside the remains of Colinton station, which might prove a little confusing to the casual visitor or passing walker. For the ...
John Furnevel 27/07/2017
A Class 08 shunting at Colinton in the summer of 1967. The rest of the train is just out of shot on the main line, while a wagon of coal is set down ...
Douglas Blades //1967
4 of 7 images. more


This was a single platform station. The platform was on the north (village) side of the line. The Water of Leith was just to the south, alongside the line, with a footbridge crossing to the south bank,
...

More details
They did a pretty thorough job of removing all traces of stations on the Balerno branch. All we are left with here at Juniper Green is what appears to ...
David Panton 16/10/2019
1 of 1 images.


This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. This station was in the south of Currie, unlike Currie [1st] which it replaced, some way to the north. There was a goods yard to the south, served from the west. There was a water tank at the west end and signal box. Each platform had waiting rooms.
...

More details
The announcement of the closure of Currie Goods Station on Monday the 4th of December 1967. Photographed in May 1971. Alternative goods facilities ...
Bill Jamieson /05/1971
It looks like Currie^s old goods shed is being converted into a house; it^s certainly getting a makeover. I confess I didn^t know it existed until I ...
David Panton 06/01/2020
This is the course of the Balerno branch immediately to the east of Currie station with the line crossing the road, seen looking north west on 16 ...
David Panton 16/12/2019
The old goods yard at Currie, looking south from the station site in September 2004. The station had closed to passengers in 1943 with the Balerno ...
John Furnevel 22/09/2004
4 of 6 images. more


This was the junction between the single track Balerno loop and the single track branch to Balerno Goods. Approach to the goods yard was from the east. Balerno station was just to the north of the junction, north of a road bridge.
...

More details


This was a single platform station. Although the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway) was a loop, Balerno station operated as a terminus with trains running to Edinburgh Princes Street. The loop was referred to as the Balerno Branch. The line continued west past the station to Ravelrig Junction and east to Balerno Junction via Juniper Green and Colinton. The next station ...

More details
A recent walk along the Water of Leith Walkway showed that there are still a few telegraph poles lurking in the undergrowth, and here^s one near ...
Alasdair Taylor 19/11/2017
1 of 1 images.


This junction was formed in 1874 between the west end of the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1848 Caledonian Railway.
...

More details

See also
Caledonian Railway
The 07.55 from Inverness to London KX, led by power car 43238 ^National Railway Museum 40 Years 1975-2015^, diverted via the WCML due to track ...
Bill Roberton 30/09/2017
Freightliner 66554 climbs towards Ravelrig with a Grantshouse - Carlisle train of recovered track panels on 30th September 2017.
...
Bill Roberton 30/09/2017
The 12.52 Edinburgh - London Euston nears the former Ravelrig Junction on 30th September 2017. In the background is Dalmahoy Hill.
...
Bill Roberton 30/09/2017
Ravelrig Junction in a view looking east in 1999. The ballasted area to the right of the track was the junction sidings with the junction itself ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
4 of 5 images. more





Balerno Goods

This was the junction between the single track Balerno loop and the single track branch to Balerno Goods. Approach to the goods yard was from the east. Balerno station was just to the north of the junction, north of a road bridge.
...

More details