This junction was at the east end of the Balerno Branch and connected the 1874 single track branch to the 1848 main line railway.
The branch doubled for a train length before joining the main line. From the pointing of doubling two sidings were laid on the south side of the junction, approached from the west.
The signal box opened with the line. It was located to the north of the main line and west of the junction. It was replaced in 1914 with a new box south of the main line, to the west of the 'V' of the junction. One of the junction sidings was lifted.
The branch closed to passengers in 1943. The box was closed in 1960, taken over by Slateford Power Box. The branch closed in 1967. The approach of the branch to the junction is now overgrown.
| Slateford Aqueduct|
Gorgie Cattle Market [CR]
Kate's Mill Siding
Gorgie Cattle Market [NB]
Slateford Railway Laundry
Gorgie West Goods
Slateford Junction [1st]
Old Craig House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
|The Balerno Branch and the Caley in Edinburgh (Oakwood Library of Railway History)|
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian