Opened on the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a single platform station with a typical Caledonian Railway small station timber building. The station was immediately west of Colinton Tunnel.
The station was at a fairly cramped location and featured an interesting road bridge, with several arches, crossing the goods lines, passenger line and the Water of Leith at the west end. To the west of this was the signal box (on the west side south of the station and which opened with the line) and a short branch over the river to the West Mills.
The goods yard was served form the west and the mills from the east.
The box here closed in 1889, replaced with a ground frame. The station closed to passengers in 1943. Being down at a lower level to the village it suffered from competition from Colinton [Tram] actually in the village and at street level.
The station building survived closure to passengers and was only demolished immediately before the line's closure. The line remained open until 1967 for goods.
The goods platform still remains, the passenger platform is a low overgrown mound. Since 1981 the station area has been a car park, the trackbed of the line being a foot and cycle path.
Other railway and industry locations
Gorgie Cattle Market [CR]
Gorgie Cattle Market [NB]
Slateford Railway Laundry
Old Craig House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|