Currie [2nd] (1874-1943)
Opened on the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. This station was in the south of Currie, unlike Currie [1st] which it replaced, some way to the north. There was a goods yard to the south, served from the west. There was a water tank at the west end and signal box. Each platform had waiting rooms.
Platforms were cut back after closure to passengers in 1943 and the goods yard remained open. Even after closure of the line it handled coal traffic. The signal box closed with the passenger train withdrawal, replaced by a ground frame.
The line closed in 1967.
The goods shed has survived. Railway cottages nearby survive.
Edinburgh Park Station [Tram]
Edinburgh Park Central [Tram]
Gyle Centre [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Balerno Goods Junction
Kate^s Mill Siding
Network Rail Maintenance Delivery Unit Edinburgh
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|