Leven Engine Works

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Leven Engine Works

Served by the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.


Description

This ship engine works was located by the River Leven on either side of the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway immediately east of Leven Viaduct [Dumbarton] and west of Dumbarton Central.

The works had access to water, the River Leven to the west and, before it was reclaimed, the stretch of water which ran from the river eastwards alongside the railway to the east end of the station. The size of engine parts which could be manufactured in the northern part of the works was limited by the clearance of the railway bridge crossing the Leven.

The works was railway served, a line dropped down from the station to street level to serve the southern part of the works, the north part was reached by reversal and passed under the railway to reach the works.

Both works were built on the northern part of the site which had been the Dumbarton Glass Works.

The northern works is now the western part of the Broadmeadow Industrial Estate built on the reclaimed land and the southern works site is now a health centre.


Tags

Engine works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map