The 1826 Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was met here by the 1848 Caledonian Railway. The Caledonian used the M&K route to reach Garnqueen East Junction to the south, so a short portion of the main line was one of the earliest railways belonged to the North British. There were restrictions on the NB for their use of this section of their line to avoid the blocking of expresses by slow moving mineral trains.
By the opening of the Caledonian the M&K was double track. The signal box (replaced 1899) was on the west side of the junction. Also here was a loop on the east side which served the Gartliston Fire Clay Works via a headshunt to the south. A little to the north, on the M&K, was a trailing connection to a branch east (passing under the Caledonian main line) to reach Rawmoan Fire Clay Pit and Gartverrie Fire Clay Works.
The M&K was cut back to serve Bedlay Colliery in 1965 and singled.
Bedlay Colliery mothballed in 1981, formally closed 1982, and the branch there closed in 1982. The signal box closed in 1983.
The box still exists having been dismantled and re-assembled at Bo'ness on the preserved Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway.
Gartsherrie [M and K]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Gartliston Fire Clay Brick Works|
Hayhill Brickworks Signal Box
Garnqueen North Junction
Glenboig Firebrick Works
Star Fireclay Works
Kilgarth Slag Hill
Kilgarth Signal Box
Gartsherrie East Junction
Gartsherrie Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9
Gartsherrie North Junction
Gartsherrie South Junction
Heatherbell Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|07/10/1844||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
Agreement between the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and Caledonian Railway about a connection at Gartsherrie NB Junction (later name) and another at Garnqueen South Junction for the Greenhill branch. The Caledonian would have running powers between the two locations,
|/ /1854||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
Agreement between the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and Caledonian Railway regarding running over the M&K between Gartsherrie NB Junction (later name) and Garnqueen South Junction for the Greenhill branch.
|30/12/1907||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway Caledonian Railway|
Agreement between the North British Railway and the Caledonian Railway granting running powers in perpetuity between Gartsherrie NB Junction and Garnqueen South Junction.
|11/12/1981||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Bedlay Colliery closed and line from there to Garnqueen South Junction closed.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian