This line is closed. Initially planned as a landowners line connecting estates in the valley of the River Wansbeck it was to become involved in the North British Railway and its plans to reach Newcastle via he Blyth and Tyne Railway.
|/ /1859||Wansbeck Railway|
Act receives Royal assent
|/ /1862||Wansbeck Railway|
Line opened from Morpeth to Scot's Gap. The Blyth and Tyne Railway^s Morpeth [BT] station was used. This terminus was approached by first crossing over the Newcastle and Berwick Railway and then joining the Morpeth Branch (Blyth and Tyne Railway) at an east facing junction, trains then reversed into the terminus.
|/ /1863||Wansbeck RailwayNorth British Railway|
Wansbeck Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|/ /1864||Wansbeck Railway|
Extended from Scot^s Gap to Knowe^s Gate.
|/ /1865||Wansbeck Railway|
Extended from Knowe's Gate to Reedsmouth (Border Counties Railway).
|/ /1870||Northumberland Central Railway|
Line opened from Scot's Gap (Wansbeck Railway) to Rothbury.
|/ /1871||Wansbeck RailwayNewcastle and Berwick Railway|
Curve (authorised in original Wansbeck Railway Act) put in to allow North British Railway trains to run into the main Morpeth station in either 1871 or 1872. The two companies built the curve towards each other, meeting in the middle. With this opening, the Wansbeck Railway trains stopped using the Morpeth Branch (Blyth and Tyne Railway)^s terminus.
|/ /1872||Wansbeck Railway|
Approach to Morpeth (Blyth and Tyne) closed on opening of connection to Morpeth (North Eastern).
|/ /1903||Wansbeck Railway|
Scot^s Gap renamed Scotsgap.
|/ /1908||Wansbeck Railway|
Knowe^s Gate renamed Knowesgate.
|/ /1952||Wansbeck Railway|
Closed to passengers.
|/ /1963||Wansbeck Railway|
Closed from Reedsmouth to Woodburn (excluded).
|/ /1965||Portpatrick Railway|
Troop trains run over line (Stranraer Harbour - Woodburn (Wansbeck Railway)) for Northern Ireland.
|/ /1966||Wansbeck Railway|
Closed from Woodburn to Morpeth (excluded).
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was a single platform station. Meldon, a small settlement, is a third of a mile to the north. The platform was on the north side of the line, with a two storey stone built station building.
This was a single platform station with a passing loop. The passenger platform was on the north side of the loop and loading banks on the south side. There was a two storey stone built station building and a level crossing at the west end. The loop extended westwards across the level crossing. A short siding off the loop, approached from the east, served a loading bank at the west end of the ...More details
This was a single platform station with a loop. The platform and station building were on the north side of the line. The platform was stone and the station building was a small timber and wood building, not typical of the line but a North British Railway type such as that at Ewesley. Opposite on the south side was a loading bank. The London and North Eastern Railway took out the west ...More details
This was the junction between the line from Morpeth (to the east) to Reedsmouth Junction (to the west) and the branch to Rothbury (to the north). It was a single platform station with a goods yard on its north side, a series of looped sidings (two loops and two dead end sidings). The passenger platform was on the south side with a partly single storey and two storey stone built station ...More details
This was a two platform station, one passenger and one for goods. The passenger platform was on the south side of the station^s loop with the goods platform, equipped with a crane, on the north side. The station building, stone built and of one storey, was on the passenger platform. The signal box was at the east end, just beyond a minor road overbridge.
This was a single platform station, platform on the north/west side of the line, with a goods loop. The main station building, a single storey, was on the platform with a signal box (1893)closer to Morpeth. The goods yard was on the north side of the line, approached from the east, and with a loop.
Also known as Reedsmouth Junction, this was a three platform junction station to the east of Redesmouth House. The small village of Redesmouth, largely railway cottages, developed by the station. The station was just east of the confluence of the River Rede and the River North Tyne.
Ephemeral Flash: Public Transport in and Around the Upper Wansbeck Valley
Memories: Reflections of Wansbeck
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
North Eastern Highways And By-Ways Of Steam - DVD - Transport Video Publishing
Remember The Wannie Line - The Wansbeck Valley Railway 1865-1966 [VHS]
Wanderings Along the River Wansbeck: From Fourlaws to Cambois
Wannie Line - Northumberland's Best Loved Branch Line [DVD]