Northumberland Central Railway

Introduction

This single track line is closed. The line ran north from Scotsgap Junction to Rothbury.






Dates

  /  /1863Northumberland Central Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1870Northumberland Central Railway
Line opened from Scot's Gap ([Wansbeck Railway]) to Rothbury.
  /  /1872Northumberland Central RailwayNorth British Railway
Northumberland Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1903Northumberland Central Railway
Fontburn opened.
  /  /1921Northumberland Central Railway
Fontburn renamed Fontburn Halt.
  /  /1952Northumberland Central Railway
Closed to passengers.
  /  /1963Northumberland Central Railway
Closed completely.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the junction between the line from Morpeth (to the east) to Reedsmouth Junction (to the west) and the branch to Rothbury (to the north). It was a single platform station with a goods yard on its north side, a series of looped sidings (two loops and two dead end sidings). The passenger platform was on the south side with a partly single storey and two storey stone built station ...

More details
Scotsgap station seen from the station approach. The platform was to the left. ...
Mike Shannon /05/2002
Scotsgap station in 2002 in a view looking to Morpeth. ...
Mike Shannon /05/2002
View south east over the former Scotsgap station on 22 May 2004. The station closed to passengers in 1952 with the line closing completely in 1966. ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2004
Scotsgap station seen in summer 2015 [see image 53066]. The building has been extended, the Rover has been replaced by a Golf - but history will out - ...
Ken Strachan 10/07/2015


This was a single platform station located in a cutting. The platform was on the south side of the line with a loading bank at its east end, the siding serving it approached from the east. The signal box was at the east end of the station, on the north side of the line and opposite the points for the siding. It opened in 1875, was replaced in 1893 and closed before line closure.
...

More details
View towards Rothbury, looking east over the remains of Longwitton station on the Northumberland Central Railway in late November 1997. [Ref query 10 ...
Ewan Crawford /11/1997

This was a single platform station with the platform on the east side of the line. A station building, a single storey timber and brick building similar to Middleton North, was at the south end of the platform. There was a goods siding at the north end, east side of the line, approached from the north.
...

More details
Entrance to the former Ewesley station (1870) on the Northumberland Central Railway on 31 October 2010. Closed to passengers in 1952, the refurbished ...
John Furnevel 31/10/2010

View east from the top of the dam at Fontburn reservoir, Northumberland, on 31 October 2010. Below are the water treatment works of Northumbrian ...
John Furnevel 31/10/2010

This halt, a platform on the west side of the line, was not far north of Fontburn Viaduct. The platform, built on a frame on concrete and steel, had a small waiting shelter.
...

More details

From this siding, which was approached from Scotsgap to the south, a double track narrow gauge line to Lee Pit just shy of a mile to the south east. With the line dropping to the north there were catch points just to the north east of the siding. ...

More details

This was a single platform station, with the platform on the east side of the line. The date of the change of station to a halt in unclear. Brinkburn is a parish, Brinkburn Priory is around three miles away by road to the east.
...

More details
Remains of the former station at Brinkburn on the Northumberland Central Railway in early 1998. View is north towards the terminus at Rothbury. Closed ...
Ewan Crawford //1998


This was the terminus of the Northumberland Central Railway in the east of Rothbury and close to the markets. It was the largest station on the line. It was a single platform terminus with a loop which terminated at a turntable from which the locomotive shed was accessed.
...

More details
One of the few surviving clues that the railway ever came to Rothbury. The Railway Hotel on Bridge Street, a quarter of a mile from the site of the ...
John Furnevel 31/10/2010
The Wansbeck Wanderer at Rothbury on 9 November 1963 behind Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 no 43129. ...
K A Gray /11/1963
The former locomotive shed at Rothbury, terminus of the Northumberland Central Railway branch running north from Scotsgap. Photographed during a visit ...
K A Gray 09/11/1963
Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 no 43129 at Rothbury on 9 November 1963 at the head of the The Wansbeck Wanderer about to return south. ...
K A Gray 09/11/1963