Middleton North

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Middleton [Wansbeck] (1862-1923)
Middleton North (1923-1952)

Opened on the Wansbeck Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a single platform station with a loop. The platform and station building were on the north side of the line. The platform was stone and the station building was a small timber and wood building, not typical of the line but a North British Railway type such as that at Ewesley. Opposite on the south side was a loading bank. The London and North Eastern Railway took out the west end of the loop, making it into a siding. Access to the passenger platform was by a footway level crossing at the platform's east end.

The original station had rather a long loop, running from the later station site across a bridge (built for double track) over a road to the east of the later station. The original passenger station was to the east of the bridge, with the platform on the north side. a coal drop was on the south side, west of the bridge. This loop was greatly shortened and only the west portion retained. Placing the passenger platform on the north side, more distant from the town, was a change from usual practise, probably due to the southern line being a speed restricted loop with a coal drop.

The village of Middleton is just to the west. It was, and remains, a small village.

The station closed in 1952 and line closed in 1966.

The station building has not survived.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map