Fontburn Halt (1921-1950)
Opened on the Northumberland Central Railway.
This halt, a platform on the west side of the line, was not far north of Fontburn Viaduct. The platform, built on a frame on concrete and steel, had a small waiting shelter.
To the north were railway cottages, on the west side of the line, and a signal box on the east side. A siding to Whitehouse Lime Works ran south east from the line, being approached from the north. A tramway ran east to Whitehouse Quarries from the lime works. The route of this varied over the years.
The halt opened in 1903 (or more likely earlier) and closed in 1950, two years before the line's closure to passengers. The line closed completely in 1963.
The wooden decking has been removed, but the lattice of steel and concrete remains, almost like some kind of artistic structure. The walkway to the platform (partly stone built) was part of this structure and also remains, without its decking.
The cottages remain, known as Daisy Cottages.
The Font Reservoir Dam was built to the west of the Fontburn Viaduct in 1900. It was with the dam that the small settlement at Fontburn was established. A siding was laid on the west side of the line, (running round the halt's west side and approached from the north), to bring in materials.
Ray House (Halt)
Other railway and industry locations
Whitehouse Lime Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1903||Northumberland Central Railway|
|/ /1921||Northumberland Central Railway|
Fontburn renamed Fontburn Halt.
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
The Northumberland Central Railway
|The Rothbury Branch (Locomotion Papers)|