Knowesgate

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Knowe^s Gate (1864-1908)
Knowesgate (1908-1952)

Opened on the Wansbeck Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station, one passenger and one for goods. The passenger platform was on the south side of the station's loop with the goods platform, equipped with a crane, on the north side. The station building, stone built and of one storey, was on the passenger platform. The signal box was at the east end, just beyond a minor road overbridge.

The station was briefly the terminus, 1864-1865, and a turntable was provided at the west end of the passenger platform, south of the line. The turntable was removed after the line was extended.

The station building and railway cottage both remain, in use as houses. Houses now occupy the west part of the station site.

A box opened in 1893 but closed by 1904. It was replaced in 1915 but the replacement closed in 1924. A ground frame was then provided.

By the 1920s sidings were added east of the station and the loop lengthened. East of the station a loop served exchanged with a tramway which ran south to Whitehill Quarry. East of this was a second loop serving a bunker connected by a tramway to a further quarry. A long siding was laid to the west from the station on the north side of the line.

A siding here had military use.

Knowes Gate was a toll barrier just to the south of Knowes, immediately north of the station.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map



Dates

  /  /1865Wansbeck Railway
Extended from Knowe's Gate to Reedsmouth (Border Counties Railway).