Millerhill Yard Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Millerhill Yard Junction (1962-)

Opened on the Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways).

Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.


Description

This is the junction between the Newcraighall North Junction to Monktonhall Junction route through the former Millerhill Yard and the Millerhill EGIP Depot, built partly on the site of the Millerhill MPD and the Millerhill Yard Up Sorting Sidings.

Originally this junction provided a shortcut to the south end of Millerhill Yard Up Sorting Sidings (and Millerhill MPD without having to pass through the Millerhill Yard Up Arrival Sidings. This provided an alternative route to that via Wanton Walls Junction to Monktonhall Junction. In addition in later years of the year this was the arrival route for trains to the up sidings which would then reverse from Millerhill West Junction.


Tags

Junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Dates

  /  /1989Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Millerhill Yard Junction (by Millerhill MPD, approximate location of the former Cairnie station) to Millerhill Junction (south of the former Millerhill station) closed.