Perth Central Goods

Location type

Sidings

Names and dates

Perth Goods [NB] (1891-1952)
Perth Central Goods (1952-1970)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Perth Goods (North British Railway).

Description

This large goods yard was on the west side of Perth station. It was approached from the south. The site was initially Scottish Central Railway owned but became the North British Railway's goods yard in Perth.

The yard was approached by a double track line from St Leonards Junction Signal Box to the south, a junction on the goods bypass line which ran down the west side of the station. The goods yard had its own signal box, Perth Goods Yard' at the fan out of lines.

There were loading banks on the east side of the yard, a goods shed in the centre and sidings, initially short sidings served by turnplates, on the west side. A remodelling replaced the turnplate sidings and the very distinctive Dewer's Bonded Warehousing building, rail served, was built at the north west corner of the goods yard site.

The goods yard box closed in 1925. The St Leonards Junction box closed in 1962, replaced by Perth Power Box in 1962 and the yard approach singled.

The goods yard closed in 1970.

A Perth Rowntree Mackintosh Siding was later created by slewing the former northbound goods line into a shed in the southern part of the former goods yard. This siding opened and closed in the 1980s.

The goods yard site is cleared. The east portion is now the Perth Leisure Pool and the west the Dewars Centre .

The fine Dewars warehouse has not survived, the Dewars Centre occupying its site.

Tags

Goods sidings

Dates

  /  /1985North British Railway
Perth Pool built on the former Perth Central Goods yard of the North British Railway by Perth station.