Perth Power Box

Location type

Loco shed

Names and dates

Perth Shed [NB] (-1949)
Perth Power Box (1962-)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.
Opened on the Perth General Enlargement (Perth Station Committee (Caledonian Railway, North British Railway and Highland Railway)).

Description

The original shed here was an Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway building, a two road shed approached from the north, a later to the south of its replacement. It was replaced in 1885 with a new building.

This was a single ended three road shed approached from the south. It was immediately south of St Leonards Bridge on the west side of the line, across the tracks from St Leonards Bridge Signal Box. The site was somewhat cramped with no room for expansion. The shed was accessed from the goods lines which ran up the west side of Perth station.

After closure in 1949, the locomotives transferring to Perth South Shed, the southern part of the site became the Perth Signalling Centre, built on the site of the approach lines. This is a panel box dating from 1962.

The box took over several signal boxes including

Almond Valley Junction
Dovecotland Box
Friarton Junction
Glasgow Road Junction
Perth Goods Yard [NB]
Perth Down Centre (in Perth station)
Perth Up Centre (in Perth station)

The shed building survived closure for some years. It then remained as some walls without a roof until the 1980s.

Tags

Shed 06/08/2019



Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)