Glasgow Road Junction (1886-1962)
Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
This junction is at the north end of Perth. Today this is where the lines from platform 7 and the holding sidings on the west side meet those from platform 4 and 3 on the east side, which have just passed under the station road entry ramp. The combined lines heading north pass under the Glasgow Road Bridge.
The junction largely dates from the 1886 reconstruction although line did fan out here on the northern approach to the station prior to that.
The 1886 signal box (replacing an older one) was on the west side of the line immediately south of the Glasgow Road bridge. On the west side of the main lines from the station were the double track goods lines which ran from Edinburgh Road Junction to the south to Dovecotland Junction to the north.
North of the Glasgow Road bridge was Perth Glasgow Road, the ticket platform was trains entering Perth from the north. This was alongside the south main. This location sometimes flooded.
To the west was Perth Central Goods (the North British Railway goods yard, which was not directly connected, and to the north west Perth Shed [HR] (the Highland Railway locomotive shed, also not directly connected.
The signal box closed in 1962 during the Perth resignalling, replaced by Perth Power Box.
Perth Glasgow Road
Perth Glasgow Road [Temporary]
Perth Princes Street
Bridge of Earn [2nd]
Bridge of Earn [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Glasgow Road Junction
Perth Central Goods
Perth Shed [HR]
Earlsdyke Coal Depot
Perth Carriage Sidings
Perth Rowntree Mackintosh Siding
Perth North Goods
Perth Holding Sidings
Orchardbank Signal Box
Pullars Highland House
Perth Goods [CR] [1st]
Dewer^s Bonded Warehousing
Perth Station Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|