This signal box was on the west side of the line south of the Long Causeway road bridge.
It was at the northern end of the goods bypass line which started to the south at Edinburgh Road Bridge Junction. The box opened in 1886, the great rebuilding of Perth station and approaches, the box replaced an earlier box and layout.
To the south of the box the lines were, from west to east:
- the approach to Perth Shed [HR]
- the goods bypass
- passenger lines to Perth station
- Earlsdyke Coal Depot
To the north, on either side of the line and approached from the north were, from west to east:
- Dovecotland Goods
- a continuation of the northbound goods line
- the main line
- Perth North Goods
all of which lines merged to the north at Balhousie Junction.
The box closed in 1962, replaced by Perth Power Box. With this the goods bypass was extended as two lines a little further north to Balhousie Junction, bringing it closer to Perth New Yard.
Of these lines none now remain except for the double track main line.
Perth Glasgow Road
Perth Glasgow Road [Temporary]
Perth Princes Street
Bridge of Earn [2nd]
Bridge of Earn [1st]
| Dovecotland Goods|
Perth North Goods
Pullars Highland House
Perth Shed [HR]
Earlsdyke Coal Depot
Perth Central Goods
Glasgow Road Junction
Wallace Works (Linens)
Perth Carriage Sidings
Dovecotland Oil Siding
Perth Rowntree Mackintosh Siding
Dewer^s Bonded Warehousing
Perth Station Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|