Cockburnspath

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cockburnspath (1846-1951)

Opened on the North British Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station about a third of a mile north of the village.

The main station building, a single storey, was on the southbound platform. Waiting rooms were in timber.

There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the south. This had a goods shed at the south end of the southbound platform. Sidings were longer and were cut back.

A third line ran through the station, on its east side. Originally looped this became a siding approached from the south and was later cut back to south of the platform.

A signal box, on the east side at the south end, was replaced in 1900 and closed in 1977. The newer box was just south of the northbound platform.

The station closed to passengers in 1951 and platforms removed. The stone built main building remains, in use as a house. A railway cottage remains to the west.

To the south was the Cockburnspath Mail Apparatus. To the north, on the approach to the Dunglass Viaduct, were catchpoints on the southbound line.

Local

The Southern Upload Way ends (or starts) in Cockburnspath, just south of the former station.

The John Muir Way ends (or starts) in Cockburnspath, north of the former station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map