Longcarse Junction (1885-1980)
Opened on the Alloa Railway.
Opened on the Alloa Marshalling Yard (British Railways).
This junction was north of the Alloa Bridge (the swing bridge over the River Forth). This was initially the junction between the Caledonian Railway's 1885 Alloa Railway line running to the goods terminus near the harbour in Alloa and its connection to Alloa West Junction where the line joined the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway allowing use of Alloa [1st] station. The line to the goods yard was single track (doubling just before the junction) and that to the Alloa West was double.
The signal box was on the north side of the junction, just east of a level crossing.
In 1957 British Railways opened, with the Alloa Marshalling Yard, a new curve allowing traffic to leave the yard and run south over the Alloa Bridge. This curve was originally double track, reduced to single as the yard was progressively cut back.
The signal box was replaced for the new yard. The new box was on the south side of the junction. It also provided access to Weirs Pumps which had sidings off both lines which were located in the 'V' of the junction.
After closure of the Alloa Bridge in 1970 the junction became a point of reversal for trains running from the yard to the former Caledonian Railway's goods station. The link to Alloa West Junction was lifted with the closure of Alloa Bridge. The remaining lines were single. The box closed.
The reversing spur, connection to the yard and line to the goods yard were all lifted around 1980.
Menstrie and Glenochil
Clackmannan and Kennet
Other railway and industry locations
Eglinton Bottling Stores
Kelliebank Glass Works
Forth Shipbuilding Yard
Kelliebank Bottling Stores
Alloa Shed [CR]
Alloa Marshalling Yard
Alloa West Junction
Bass Crest Brewery
Alloa Goods [CR]
Alloa Glass Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|